- advertisement -

Prefilled pen to syringes?

Discussion in 'Insulins' started by vallecito93, Oct 25, 2007.

1. vallecito93

vallecito93 Approved members

Someone recommended to us to use a prefilled Humalog pen instead of using syringes each time we give dd a shot. I was just wondering if they were hard to use and if it is any better than the regular way? Thanks for your input.

2. DylansMum

DylansMum Approved members

We switched to pens in July, Dylan is 9 and he really likes them, he injects himself and likes the fact that he can do it by himself (with supervision of his correct dose by us or school staff).
    You put in a full cartridge into the pen, and once that is empty, you change it. We change the cartridges every month, with his Lantus we change ever 3 weeks as he goes through more of this. He has three pens, for his Lantus, Actrapid, Novarapid, he takes his Nova pen with him to school as he injects himself at lunchtime.
    He likes them better than his syringes, but its just personal choice.
    Good luck!

Kim

3. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

We got the pen for Novolog and my son was very afraid of it. It is large in size and he did not like it at all so he uses syringes and can inject them very well by himself. I did like the dosing much better with the pen but it's not about me. The Lantus pen did not have a .5 setting so it we didn't get it. We might try the pen again but right now Will says "no way"

4. zell828

zell828 Approved members

We were given a bunch of disposable pens to use. The first time I tried it, it made me nervous because you can't see the insulin going in like with the needle. It is easier to do with the dial doseage, though, but I don't quite get why they never did halfs on pens.

5. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

We use the Lantus pen and the Novalog pen. Very simple. Much easier. Our Novalog pen is made for children, the Junior pen. It does have half unit doses.

6. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

honostly, our problem with the pens was, the drip... after every shot, and holding it in for even a longer count then required, it would still drip. Therefor, we began to wonder if our son was getting his adequit amount of insulin per dose. Factor in a ruff entrance to the real D world after our honeymoon, we went back to syringes. That, didnt help the numbers.... so I guess its personal preference. The pens sure did give us less waste, tossing needle caps instead of whole syringes.

matts pumping now... hopefully he likes it, and we will not have to worry about it any more... we have syringes on hand for the emergencys.

7. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

We use a pen for short acting insulin, and syringe for long acting insulin. I/We love the pen!

8. zell828

zell828 Approved members

I found this out not long ago that they do. Thanks. My stepdaughter was just diagnosed 2/11 and they prescribed all pens with no halfs to us. So I didn't know until I saw someone here mention it. We will be mentioning to the endo next time we want the halfs. I personally feel more comfortable with halfs included.

9. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Just wanted to comment on the drip. Pens was all my son ever used, so I can't compare, but they are certainly easy to carry around, convenient and easy to use, very handy for in school or a restaurant. Also, for a teenager, if you're injecting in a public place no one will jump to the conclusion that you're mainlining in public!

We found there was always one drop at the end of the needle when we drew it out, but it was consistent -- always one little drop. Since Aaron's doses were adjusted to work with the pens, it was basically a non-issue.

10. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

The novo pen does have a junior version with half unit doses, but unfortunately the Lantus pen doesn't.
    We do like the pens. Not quite so obvious when you're doing injections in a restaurant. I find it less confronting for me and him too.
    It's all a matter of personal preference, I suppose. And of course it depends on which insulins you're using and whether pens are available.

11. Wenpuppy123

Wenpuppy123 Approved members

doesnt the pen sorta work like the lanset, ecept i injects insulin? If so, i think i prefer the seringes because the lanset goes so quickly. >.<

12. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

No. There is an autoinjector that goes with the Novopens but I don't use it because like you, I don't like it shooting into me. It uses too much force.

No, most of us using pens stick the needle in manually, just like with a syringe.

13. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

Kathy loves her pens! We use Levemir and Novolog Jr - she liked them so much better than syringes. Easier for me too since I didn't have to draw them up. Less chance for error, on my part. I just make sure she "clicks" the dose right and she does it all herself. She says they don't hurt as much as the syringes because the needle is even smaller than the syringes she used.

14. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Question about pens. Can you put the needle on ahead of time? The reason I wondered is it would save a step in a restaurant. You could just flick, prime, click and go. We have a sample quik pen but it does not seem that much easier than the syringe and bottle since you still have to put on the needle every time. There are more steps to a pen but it looks less weird in public and less waste of course!

15. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

You can if you leave the outer cap off, and leave the inner cap on.
    P.S. Actually, you can if you are using short pen needles (4mm-8mm). With the longer pen needles, I have heard that you can't put the pen cap back on- won't fit.

16. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Thanks Lantus fiend - We have some nano needles. Next time we go out we will try it again, with the needle already in. I have tons of humalog- like 3 months worth but I bet I can get more free samples of pens from the endo next time we go. Its just something we need to warm up to. The only probs we have are that I have heard they are less accurate, and that you just dont see it going in. But we are probably just being superstitious.