- advertisement -

Prediabetic - Type 1

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bookmom, Dec 21, 2016.

1. bookmom

bookmom New Member

Yes - that's right. Pre-type 1. Who knew? I would love to hear from anyone who's been in our situation.
    My son was diagnosed on October 21 and his 13th birthday was on October 22. In our state kids are required to get the "7th grade vaccine" (not even sure what it is) within 25 days of the start of school. So I called to get an appointment and they said in order for him to get the vaccine he had to have a check up scheduled since he hadn't had one in two years (bad mom.) He got the vaccine then went for his well check up a few days later. After looking at his charts his pediatrician suggested he sign up for a new program that would help him set nutrition goals and maintain his weight. He has always been on what he calls the "red zone of the fat chart". She was going to help him set up healthy eating and exercise goals and then see him every six weeks to monitor his progress. I guess as a precaution she had blood drawn to check his blood sugar level - she is new and enthusiastic thank goodness! She asked us if we wanted to wait to see what the result was- but said she was sure it was fine if we wanted to go ahead and leave...they'd call us if anything was off. Ok - I didn't even know what the heck they were testing for first of all. We left and within five minutes my phone rings and it was his pediatrician. She said his blood sugar level was at 297 and she sounded urgent. So now I'm panicking but I don't know what I'm panicking about. I'll shorten the story a bit... he goes in the next day to test his fasting glucose level - 155... gets back a1c results - 7.7... and his pediatrician says she is pretty sure its type 2 but lets get to an endocrinologist pronto to double check. Both doctors asked him in several different ways if he had noticed being thirsty, if he had to go to the bathroom alot, if I had noticed a drop in weight (obviously not since his bmi was close to 100th percentile) and all of the other questions. I told them he was eating a lot - but so are all of the other boys his age. Other than that nothing was out of the ordinary. The endocrinologist looked him over - found no darkening places on his neck or under his arms typical of type 2- and she said that even though he was overweight he didn't look like a teen who had type 2. So we went and got more tests - and they came back positive for two of the antibodies they check for. Honestly at that point I thought he had type 2 - his pediatrician was pretty convinced.

So when I got the call from the endo I didn't really, really know what this meant. She has him taking metformin and testing everyday in the morning and then before dinner and two hours after. He's had a couple of sort of highs but other than that he has been normal ever since. We've changed our diet - really watching the carb count, and trying to exercise more. Nothing like being told you are going to have diabetes to get you motivated. The doctor said we basically just caught it by fluke in a very early stage. She predicted he had around two months before he needed insulin. It's been a little over two months and his numbers are good. I don't have any idea if the metformin is helping in any way. The doctor says it is not hurting so he is going to keep taking it. I have read that the JDRF has put out some literature about diabetes staging - stage 1 is when antibodies are detected, stage 2 is when you become dysglycemic buy still producing insulin, and stage 3 is when you basically stop producing and have symptoms... so my best educated guess is that he is in stage 2. How long he actually has before he becomes insulin dependent seems a little like a crap shoot. I read that stage 2 can last for a few years before someone becomes symptomatic. I'm thankful that he most likely won't end up in the hospital - we'll see it coming. The doctor said to bring him in if he is above 180 two times in a row. I'm thinking of it like going down a slide rather than being pushed off a cliff.

I'm trying to read as much as possible and just getting prepared as I can. He's accepted that at some point he's going to have to go on insulin. He has a hard time with things like pizza parties and stuff like that. The doctor told him to go ahead and have 1 slice of pizza or a small portion of cake which makes it a little more bearable. But he is the kid that could eat a whole pizza and not be full. So this is a real lifestyle change for him. He didn't ever look super overweight but was definitely on the chunky side. I say "was" because he has lost around 20 pounds just from controlling his portions.

I know this is long but it feels great to write about it. I was pretty depressed at first but as time goes on I feel more and more confident that we can handle it.

Thanks for reading!

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

At this point with positive antibodies and elevated glucose, he has Type 1, you just caught it early - lots of us were diagnosed in a similar fashion, prior to ending up in DKA. Mine was caught completely by accident when I had a metabolic panel done to get a baseline on my liver and kidney function to watch another issue.

His weight has nothing to do with his diagnosis, however making smarter food choices and limiting portions (as you said, a slice of pizza instead of the whole thing) is a good move regardless, even if it is difficult - that will help set him up with healthier eating habits for life.

Most importantly though, once he needs insulin it does NOT mean in any way that you or he has "failed".

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Also, for a growing boy there are lots of low carb snacks that can "hit the spot" such as nuts, meat sticks, cheese sticks, sliced turkey wrapped about a pickle, peanut butter on celery, etc. Think protein! Your attitude is fantastic, by the way! He's lucky to have your cool-headed approach!