- advertisement -

Pre-marital medical tests 'positive step'

Discussion in 'The Middle East' started by Ellen, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

http://www.kuwaittimes.net/read_news.php?newsid=NzY1NDY4

Pre-marital medical tests 'positive step'

Published Date: March 17, 2009
    By Rawan Khalid, Staff writer

KUWAIT: The medical community and residents in Kuwait welcomed the new Ministry of Health project aimed at introducing a compulsory medical certificate for couples who are to be married as a positive step in the prevention of congenital diseases. Dr Mohsen Taher, a radiologist, assessed the policy as an important step forward in the prevention of hereditary dieses. He reiterated the findings of various international studies on inter-family marriages and the risks they posed. "Research has proven that if r
    elatives marry, their children will have some disabilities," he said.

Addressing the issue from a scientific and social point of view, the decision aims to implement a policy where a medical certificate is required before marriage. In that way, he said, the bride and the groom will know if there were any diseases in the family, if they are diabetic or if they have any STDs.

Many people hide the fact that they have diabetes, and this is out of selfishness. This is haram because their children inherit the disease, which is then passed on through the generations.

A soon-to-be-married bride said that knowing what she would face in her life was necessary before making this important step. Marwa Abdullrahman, 24, said, "The best thing about the ministry's decision to introduce a mandatory health certificate lies in knowing if the person has a bad disease. Then, you can decide to marry him or not." She is a proponent of the idea to have a medical certificate, but she also expressed doubt that society would be fully accepting of it. "I think that a lot of people here in Kuwait get married to give birth.

Shouroq, who is 27-years-old and married to an expatriate, said that the decision to introduce health certificates should be applied to expatriates as well. Tala Alaa, a 25-year-old woman who is about to get married, said, "With this test, many people will protect themselves from any diseases because they may be infected by others." She added, "If I find that the man I will get married to has a bad disease I will cancel the marriage even if we were together for long time.

2. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

This makes me sad. :(

3. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Seriously :( I fear what the future would hold for my child. Jeez :(