- advertisement -

Practice Glucagon kit

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nanhsot, Jul 16, 2013.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Just thought I'd share as I'd never seen this, they sent my son home with a "practice glucagon kit". It's white, so not easily confused with the red kit, and it contains no medication. There are instructions on removing the top, injecting, swirling, redrawing, etc. It has a retractible "needle" so they can even practice the jab.

They sent it home with him to go over with his roommate. Not sure if he will but he seems interested in doing so. I have practiced myself with expired kits but like the idea of this better, for this situation.

Just throwing this out there for anyone who may have need. It's put out by Lilly and is packaged exactly the same other than color.

2. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

That's a great idea.

In all honesty, I had never practiced and I really should have on an expired kit. I had to give our first glucagon yesterday. Thankfully, it wasn't an emergency situation, so I wasn't panicked and was able to take my time. It was actually very simple, but if I was panciked, it wouldn't have been so pretty I'm sure!

3. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We always use expired ones to practice. it is a good idea to do it. It is harder to open the vial and syringe than you would think.

4. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I always have wondered why my epipen comes right with a practice syringe but for glucagon I have never even seen a practice kit. Good to know it exists. I guess they figure diabetics are used to injections.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We were given one the year we went to FFL. It doesn't completely replace using expired ones for practice but it is a good first level teaching tool. Most of all, I think the fake retractable needle lets people focus on the other steps rather than being appalled and distracted by the giant needle in the real thing. ;)

6. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

This is why I save all my expired glucagon kits and give them to our endocrine practice -- they can give them out to newly diagnosed families.

I would've loved to have the practice kit back at diagnosis! That practice needle is a great idea.

7. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

As a side note wanted to point out that if you have an ipad, iPhone etc there is an app for glucagon that takes you though the steps. It also lets you track when your kits expire. We plan on using it to train staff when Jared starts high school next month. Eek did I just say high school. :eek: Jared was dx in KDG so it's been awhile.