- advertisement -

Potty Training with T1D

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Addi_Momma, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Addi_Momma

Addi_Momma New Member

My daughter is 2 and we need to start potting training. sometimes she tells me when she has to poop but never when she has to pee. She has yet to pee in the potty. she has woken up from naps a few times in past week dry so I put her on the potty but she wont go. of course as soon as I put a diaper on her she goes...not sure what to do. Maybe she isnt ready?

2. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

The only advice I will give......if SHE isn't ready, DON'T PUSH IT. It was so frustrating for ME when I tried to push it, when she is ready it is a breeze. Keep in mind our little type 1 have to go sometimes more than the average so that takes more times in and of itself. But someone once told me...they will get to kindergarden potty trained...best advice ever!! Btw my daughter will be four in April, still wear a pull up overnight, and I think that will continue for some time. But I'm fine with that of course

3. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Personally I would just try occasionally and mention it to her casually once in a while but not push. My cwd trained earliest of all my kids but was still 3 before it took.

4. Traci

Traci Approved members

I have triplets and a singleton who is only a year younger. My pediatrician said to not even bother starting to train until they were three and/or waking up dry in the mornings. I listened. All of mine were trained--fully trained, no accidents, no diapers at night, no mess, no fuss over a long weekend. I did my two girls together right after they turned three and then did both boys together a few months later (my type 1 son was diagnosed the weekend after I trained our girls and all that took precedence over potty training for a while). My type 1 son was only just over two, but he was seeing three others go and thought he was just as big as they were. It was the easiest potty training ever!

Give her the opportunity to go, but let it be her accomplishment, not your battle. If she's ready, it will be easy. Good luck!:)

5. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Like the others said, try not to push too hard. DS was just over 3 when we started trying--he was dxed at 2-1/2. We had to push the issue because he was due to start nursery school and had to be toilet trained first. It was awful. He is strong-willed and was totally unwilling to get with the program. He actually enjoyed a nice squishy diaper, I think! It took a lot of tears and a lot of M&Ms to get him in line. Now DD is a whole different child, and she picked it up more or less on her own. She was ready, and all it took was a few days and a few M&Ms to get her into big girl panties.

I don't think that diabetes makes day-time toilet training any more difficult (in fact, I found DS's increased urination helpful because I never had to wait for long until he had enough urine to try again). Night times are a bit of a different story. I think type 1 kids might be at a disadvantage, particularly because parents often run their kids a bit higher overnight. DS was in pull-ups until 4.5, at which point his little sister had stopped using them and he decided that enough was enough. He stayed dry as long as I woke him up once or twice a night to go to the washroom. Only in the past two months has he been ready to get through the nights on his own.

Try giving her a break, look for signs of readiness, then give it a try again. Good luck!

6. Leece

Leece Approved members

My DD was dx at 10mon and she is now 5yrs. Its only in the past year that she is dry at night those tricky BG's make things harder. I started taking her to the bathroom at her 0000 check and that seems to work on keeping her dry until 7. She day potty trained easily just with a few more bathroom breaks required.

7. Pooh's Mom

Pooh's Mom Approved members

My D was not 3 yet

My d was not quite 3 when she was potty trained and she did it in three days. We did it where if she went potty everyone got a chocolate chip even her. If she went poop everyone got two c. chips. We put pull ups on her at night just for those night her BG goes high. Tried the potty at night check but it just didn't work with her. She only has accidents when she has a high BG and then I have to check keatones. Just be patient. Children will surprise you.

8. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

We used to bring the potty into every room so that if the spirit moved them, it was right in front of them!