advertisement

Potentially Exciting news? Transplantation without rejection

Discussion in 'Research' started by fishface326, Jun 5, 2018.

1. fishface326

fishface326 Approved members

2. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

I read the press release. I'm sorry it took so long for me to reply.

That research looks very interesting, but it is still in animal tests. That means it is many years from use in people. I'll definitely keep an eye on it, and will start covering it when it starts clinical (human) trials.

I have three questions about it:

First, this only works against the body's rejection of foreign organs. That is important for transplants, but it does nothing for the underlying type-1 diabetes. I'm a little worried that even if it works perfectly to stop rejection, the new beta cells will be destroyed in the same way the original ones were.

Second, they tested this in mice with "chemically-induced diabetes". That means they used toxic chemical to destroy the mouse's beta cells, and then transplanted in new ones. That's fine for testing transplants, but it tells us nothing about what type-1 diabetes will do to those new beta cells.

Third, if this does what they say it does, its going to be a huge boon for all transplants. I'm glad they are testing it for type-1 diabetes, but everyone needing a new liver, or kidney, or lung, or heart is going to want this. And those things don't have type-1's autoimmune complications, so why aren't these guys testing it on these far more common and less complicated forms of transplantation? Of course, I'm glad their working on the disease I care about, but it is still a little mysterious to me, why they would.

In short, I'll get a little excited when the test this on NOD mice (mice with autoimmune diabetes similar to type-1 diabetes in humans), and I'll get more excited when they start testing it on people.

Joshua Levy

rgcainmd likes this.
  3. rhill

rhill Approved members

Fishface, is there an issue with creating beta cells created from the patient's own stem cells? I was thinking that a biological cure would comprise of the following:
    1) Halt the autoimmune attack using one of the techniques such as the T-Rex method or the Stem Cell Educator.
    2) Implant beta cells created from the patient's own stem cells.

Of course, I am assuming that #2 is even possible. I have not read about any research or trial that has attempted this. Do you know if this has even been attempted?