- advertisement -

Pot Luck Dinner and 1 Guest With Celiac..Help?

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by MamaBear, Oct 31, 2011.

1. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Received a text this evening from a friend I went to cosmo school with. She wants to plan a small potluck dinner get together with one other friend from school. The plan is to have a pot luck style dinner at my house, and since the other friend has Celiac, I want to make sure that the foods the first gal and I make are gluten free. I don't want my friend to feel like she has to supply her own food and not enjoy what the rest of us are eating,I mean that wouldn't make her feel too at home. I have never cooked gluten free before so I need a little advice. Does anyone have any recipes, links to recipes, and/or recommendations on gluten free meals, appetizers, and desserts we can make? Also since my kids will also be at this dinner,will there be a huge difference in carb counts with gluten free stuff? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.:)

2. szofa12yrold

szofa12yrold Approved members

It's very kind of you to want to try to accommodate your GF friend. A good place to ask questions is celiac.com. Keep in mind that for most with Celiac it is like having a serious wheat allergy and we have to avoid cross-contamination as if we had anaphylaxis. It is best to stick with simple, fresh natural ingredients. Processed/packaged foods can be problematic. A simple lettuce salad with fresh veggies, cheese or other such toppings is always a good choice. NO croutons please and some salad dressings are not safe. Please don't hesitate to ask your friend questions. We would rather you ask. A few crumbs can leave us in bed for days with fatigue etc. Jello salads and fruit desserts are usually easily made GF. One problem with baking your own cakes etc. even with a mix is that you cannot use a pan that you usually use to bake your cakes. The best way would be to purchase those disposable alluminum foil pans and mix with a stand mixer that has been wiped down well to make sure there is not flour residue on it or mix by hand with a metal spoon. Hand held mixers usually have vents that are full of flour, mine was. But please ask. Another no-no is using cast iron or non-stick pans for Celiacs. They retain gluten residue that cannot be thoroughly washed off due to the nature of their surfaces. Plain metal that can be thoroughly scrubbed is safer. Be aware that your baking soda, baking spices etc. are likely to be cross-contaminated. Mine were. Also not using mayo or butter etc. that have had knives dipped in them that might have been touching bread.

What would you be interested in making or what would you normally make? Knowing that might help us provide some more suggestions.

3. MamaBear

Oh thank you for your response! I really had no idea about the threat of cross contamination.:(

I was thinking of making some kind of chicken with rice or pasta, and possibly a cake or pie for dessert. You mentioned spices. If I buy a few new ones just for that night, is it ok to use Mrs. Dash? I use alot of that here just for us since it's carb free and salt free, but I have no clue if it's gluten free.:confused:. I have no idea what the other gal has in mind at all. She just asked me to let her know if it's ok to do it at my house and when so we can plan. I sent a text saying we have to make sure to do gluten free for Diane. I am going to send a more detailed email though with what you said about cross contamination. Definitely need to get some disposable foil bakers now! I did find a grocery store out here has a website and I can click on a tab that says "celiac shopping list". I'm going to have to check that store out as I know safeway's selection of gluten free could fit in my pocket.:rolleyes: Thanks again for your response.

4. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

I agree cross contamination is the biggest problem when eating someone else's food. Fresh mayo, fresh jar of jam, their own stick of butter that hasn't been touched by a contaminated knife is important. You can cross contaminate if you bake gluten and gluten free in the same oven around the same time. I've glutenized my adult son that way, even after being so careful with ingredients. Now I keep a toaster oven just for his meals, but I have also just wiped out my oven quickly before cooking for him.

I've found a potato bar is easy to keep gluten free when he shows up unexpectedly. I make a lot of my stand by desserts with Betty Crockers gluten free cake mix as the base. Jello brand chocolate instant pudding and coolwhip are gluten free. I make a trifle with all three. My son likes it alot. There are really good gluten free cornbread recipes. Bisquick has a good gluten free baking mix that makes good biscuits in a hurry.

Good luck to you. It's nice of you to try to make it a good experience for your friend. Eating potluck is scary and stressful for them.

5. MamaBear

Thank you! That dessert sounds like a good idea. :) Oh how do you count carbs for that? I know my son will want some if I make it.

You know the whole potluck idea.. I got on here to ask this question because I was thinking about when we were in school. We would have potlucks in the lunch room every month, and she always had her own stuff she brought, which was usually green salad with a container of turkey lunch meat and a container of cheese. It was actually during one of those days I learned she has celiac and what it is. I have to admit this idea has me a little scared. I'll have to make sure my counters and oven are extra extra clean!

6. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Also, instead of a pie, you could make some custards like a pumpkin pie filling baked in a custard dish set in hot water. Top it with whipped cream and Voila!

7. MamaBear

Oh that's a great idea! After all, pie crusts are not my strong point. :eek:

8. selketine

selketine Approved members

Ok - I don't deal with celiac in the house but William has some anaphylactic food allergies so it is sort of a similar thing.

I would double check that the friend with celiac would be willing to eat ANYTHING from a potluck. I've had lovely, well meaning people try to make things William could eat but they didn't check labels closely enough - or how could I know if they did? Or that there was no cross contamination? I usually don't want to question anyone to that much detail about their dish. I would be concerned I would accidentally introduce some cross-contamination in there because I'm not used to watching out for gluten. Gluten is not labeled and it hides in many ingredients that I wouldn't have realized.

In potluck situations we often bring his food.

9. szofa12yrold

szofa12yrold Approved members

Yeah, I often take a can of chicken and a bag of lettuce and a container of mayo to potluck lunches :( it's easy and just too much to manage making separate dishes for myself sometimes. One of the joys of potluck is being able to sample many dishes that you didn't cook yourself.

Chicken and rice may work. There are some brands of GF cream of ...soups. They are labled GF-Pacific and Imagine, there are a couple others. They may be thinner and you may need to add a little starch. Brown rice pasta works too but the cooking time is a little more sensitive than regular pasta, I feel, so check it often. It can go from undercooked to mush quickly. You cannot use your usual pasta strainer for GF pasta as they end up with a little residue that doesn't come off-in the crevices. If you make a pilaf or use chicken broth, be aware that many contain wheat. There are some that don't and state GF on the label-Pacific, Imagine, Rachel Ray.

Mrs. Dash is fine. My baking spices, baking soda, baking powder etc. were the ones that were cross-contaminated because I used to dip my measuring spoons into multiple ingredients including flour without washing them after each ingredient.

If you want cornbread, you can make it GF the old southern way with just cornmeal, no flour. I buy a cornmeal that states GF on it as some flours and such are cross-contaminated in the processing plants. There are some GF cornbread mixes.

Betty Crocker has some recipes on their website designed just for their GF mixes.

Pumpkin custards are great! We love them here and 'tis the season!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  10. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Ditto. Check with your friend first. We avoid pot-lucks like the plague.:eek:

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

you can make an easy and quick pie crust... use a gluten free cookie (gf grahms, gingersnaps, oreo cookie style all work) butter, and a bit of vanilla (real vanilla, not vanillin, that tends to have gluten)... you can usethis type of crust for cream pies, cheese cake and other pies. People who eat gf get creative. ;)

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I would encourage everyone to write down what they've made on an indext card and provide ingredients. (they can cut the label write off of any package and tape it to the card, or copy it.) Also, make sure everyone keeps the proper serving utensil in its proper dish.

13. MamaBear

I appreciate all of your responses. The more I think about this, the more it worries me. I think the other gal suggested we have it at my house because of my kids, she did say "that way you don't have to go anywhere". I'm wondering if she is under the impression that my son cannot eat out because of his diabetes. But I'm thinking I am going to tell her that we need to talk to Diane. My son is blessed enough to be able to eat anything, so that's not a worry for me, but I really don't want to end up making a booboo and making my friend sick. :( I'm wondering if maybe having it at Diane's house would be safer for her, or if there is a restaurant she might prefer.

14. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

I make sausage peppers and onions when my guests come who have celiac.

Premio sausage is gluten free. Scrub your pan very well before cooking the sausage in the oven or line with tinfoil.

Cut up peppers and onions on wax paper and fry in olive oil in a scrubbed frying pan.

Cut up cooked sausage on large paper plate and combine with peppers and onions.

For dessert I usually make Betty Crocker GF cupcakes and pour only half way into paper cupcake holders so there is no chance of them going over the top of the paper. Clean bowls and utensils before using.

Two people in my family have celiac and neither of them have become sick at my home.

15. MamaBear

Thank you. :) we are still trying to figure this out.

16. MamaBear

Hmmm well I thank you for all of your responses. I emailed some of your suggestions (specifically in regards to cross contamination)to the friend whose Idea this potluck was. She never responded. :( I'm thinking maybe she didn't realize how much work it would be to have a dinner and still keep our friend safe. Maybe she didn't realize our friend has Celiac, or what celiac is. But I will keep your tips in mind just the same. She is actually moving over my way so I have a feeling we'll be hanging out more and I may need to take a gluten free dish to her house sometime. :)