advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Posts about "I think my child has diabetes"

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jeff, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

If you are a parent and you think your child has diabetes, take your child to your doctor and have them check for diabetes. The tests for diabetes are very simple and definitive.

Symptoms of type 1 diabetes include:
    • excessive thirst
    • excessive urination
    • excessive hunger
    • weight loss
    • fatigue
    • blurred vision
    • high blood sugar level
    • sugar and ketones in the urine
    • Kussmaul breathing (rapid, deep, and labored breathing of people who have ketoacidosis or who are in a diabetic coma)
    • vaginal yeast infections in girls (even infants and toddlers)
    • bed wetting, especially when the child was not wetting previously
    A simple blood glucose or urine glucose test is used to check for diabetes.

Please do not post a message in the CWD forums asking for advice from our parents. We cannot diagnose diabetes here. Only your doctor can.

As time permits, I am finding and closing threads on this topic ("... I think my child has diabetes ...").

Note to CWD Forum users: We've had a couple of new registrations recently that appear to be from one person claiming to have a child that might have diabetes. The various user accounts have been banned and the threads deleted. This appears to be a repeat from a similar problem from some months ago.

Please, the only response to a "my child might have diabetes" post is "see your doctor."

Very Important: If your child has these symptoms, you should call your doctor IMMEDIATELY or take your child to an emergency room.

Update 10 December 2013:

This is a very interesting study on the delay between onset of symptoms and diagnosis:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3855567/pdf/bmjopen-2013-004068.pdf

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013