advertisement

Posting personal information

Discussion in 'Stickies' started by Jeff, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I would like to remind everyone that the CWD Forums are a public forum, open to everyone. When you post personal information, anyone can read it.

Please be sure that you are comfortable sharing whatever you post here, and anywhere else online, with everyone in the world.

Also, as a matter of policy, we do not remove content or threads that do not otherwise violate our terms of use. Removing threads can be highly disruptive to the forums, and doesn't in fact remove content from the greater Web. Google, along with other search engines, stores copies of content that they have indexed, and those copies remain visible for a long, long time.

2. lisab

lisab Approved members

Hi Jeff,

Just a thought - this may be good as a "sticky" where it can be a constant reminder to be cautious with personal info.

3. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Another reminder that people do not have to be a registered member of the forums to view posts. Anyone can view posts as a guest, anytime, anywhere!

4. Richard157

Richard157 Approved members

This is a good sticky Jeff, thanks! A year ago I Googled my username and there were many of my posts listed for the world to see. I post on 10 diabetes sites and there are Goole bots and Yahoo bots constantly lurking, just waiting to grab certain posts and place them on the web. Some of my friends were embarrassed to find things there that they wished they had never written. They are much more careful now.

5. jan123

jan123 Approved members

Jeff, thank you for the reminder!

Jan

6. suedubai

suedubai New Member

10 Diabetes Forum Sites

Hi Richard
    Can you please tell me how to find the other 10 sites you mentioned?
    Sue

7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Jeff,

Just wondering given the nature of this forum why the pages aren't set up to prevent search engine indexing. It's just a simple html tag and the search engines will stay away. Not there's any problem with people visiting and reading what's here, but I've never understood why everything we say here needs to be indexed by general web searches.

8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Because if you google any diabetes issue more than likely it will lead you here. This is important. If you type in something like 'cgms diabetes children' most of the info comes back to threads here on CWD - threads with tons of info that people have taken the time to share. That's valuable for a parent who needs to find info about CGMS who might not be a member here, or who might not know that CWD exists (there are still people out there who don't know what CWD is)

without indexing, we'd just exist in a vacuum.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

Ditto - we want parents struggling with T1 to find us and not feel so alone! If I were just here to chat with my friends and swap stories, I would do that on FB...I like Google picking up our posts and hopefully helping people find the help and support they need!