- advertisement -

Posting for a coworker

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kaylas mom, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I have a friend who has a son who has been T1 for many years.. much longer than my kids. Her son also has spina bifida and he is in college and doing amazing. Has always been on MDI since day one. Just decided he wanted to do the omnipod. Insurance denied him because he has no high risk complications. Omnipod won't help appeal, her husbands employer won't help until they have been denied twice. He has a short window to do training (3 weeks over break while he is home). Any advice? I am sort of in shock that Omnipod won't do anything since Tslim did our entire appeal for us.

2. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Wow that is total BS that insurance would deny him a pump for that! Do you happen to know which insurance company it is? What about getting a letter from his endo?

3. njswede

njswede Approved members

If your friend hasn't already done so, make sure their endo writes a letter of medical necessity. According to our endo, it's very hard for them to deny the claim if such a letter exists.

4. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Thanks, sorry as soon as I posted my internet crashed. Just got fixed yesterday morning. I know she contacted her son's endo and they are sending the records the insurance company is requesting and it sounds like also his ped endo is also doing that from before he went to college. I want to say Anthem? is their insurance.