- advertisement -

Post sick lows?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mandapanda1980, Dec 9, 2011.

1. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

As you all probably know, alli went to the e.r. Last night. Vomiting is done, ketones are a trace, she's holding down all foods but not a huge appetite, and she keeps going low! I had basals set at 75 % since this morning. I just dropped them to 0% to catch up from this stubborn low, but what the heck? Is it normal to go low after sick? heres her #s..

49 all if those 40s are the lady 45 minutes

I'm doing all I can to get her up, and I'm sure we will recoup from it soon, and be high, but whets with the lows in the first place???

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

It's not unusual for us to have BGs lower for up to two weeks after illness. I don't know if it's carb absorbtion, betas kicking in extra, or what, but it has made for some crazy drops in insulin needs. Good luck! I know it's hard and exhausting.

3. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

Yes, we have crazy lows after illness that often last a week to two weeks. It's not unusual to have to reduce basal 50% or more for that time period, and to have most food uncovered or just partially covered.

4. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

we had a week of that, in fact for 3 days or endo had us inject like a half unit of glucagon at meals to help bring her up, crazy I know but it worked great.

5. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Pretty standard to have these lows for a week or two after any GI illness. It takes a while for the digestive tract to get back up to speed...keep an eye on the basals and reduce as necessary.

6. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

This is what we are going through now. My DD was vomiting on Friday, now lows!! I only bolused ashlee half of her dinner last night since she keeps going low. I saw on her Cgm, she was starting to drop fast and gave her a couple of tabs. It didn't stop her, but this time only dropped into the 60s instead of 40's. Did a -50% temp basals for a couple hrs and kept an eye on her. By 4 am she was 400!! I'm tempted to try letting her eat first and go from there. It's been really hard to get her back up after she drops. Good luck, glad she's doing better!!

7. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

Low after illness

Yes I agree with the others that have experienced children having lows after GI illness. DS has had similar episodes. Just when you think things are better as far as the stomach it seems to not absorb as usual. Seems like for DS it would last about 5-6 days then number were back closer to usual. Hang in there.