- advertisement -

Possibly new insulin source

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bbirdnuts@aol.com, Feb 15, 2010.

1. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

2. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Very interesting! Would be lovely to see the price drop here, so that more kids can afford it.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Interesting stuff. Surrogate beta cells!!:D

At first, I thought the actual plant had a chemical which reacted like insulin. But I see it's through genetic manipulation. Nonetheless, if it comes to be, it would really be a blessing for those who can't afford insulin. Just hoping whoever will eventually market it won't get too greedy.:rolleyes:

BTW, isn't this the same plant from which eco-fuel is made:confused: Am I confusing plants here?

Thanks for the link.

4. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

I had not seen that, thanks for sharing. Given that this disease is so expensive to manage, a cheaper source of insulin would be good news for a lot of folks. Will be interesting to see how phase III goes.

5. etringali

etringali Approved members

I thought eco-fuel came from soy plants....... anywhooo....... that was pretty interesting. Look forward to seeing how phase 3 of their testing goes.

6. bbirdnuts@aol.com

Maybe just maybe one day soon insulin can be affordable for everyone or at least make the cost a little easier on the pocket. I have not researched the plant, sorry.

7. Toni

Toni Banned

Wow, this is amazing. Don't expect this to hit the market soon. I am a little worried about the safety of this. I hope this is safe and successful.

8. zeb'smom

zeb'smom Approved members

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

9. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Now if they could just genetically engineer safflowers to produce strips...;)

10. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Now that would be something. Just think you buy your insulin and strips together.

11. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

The article only mentions T2, so I wonder if their trials are only for T2 or T1 or both? Either way its a start.:)

12. buggle

buggle Approved members

I thought the Indians had already developed insulin-producing plants a few years ago. They had proinsulin in lettuce and tobacco. I don't know if they're growing them for production yet, but there seems to be a big push for transgenic drug-producing plants in lots of countries with poor populations.

13. bbirdnuts@aol.com

Yeah, I hope the plants can produce strips also.