- advertisement -

Possible other immune disease :(

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by shirley83006, Apr 23, 2013.

1. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

My shannon has been for many months having outbreaks of hives and substitute pediatrician just told her to take allergy pills to help. Just had bloodwork results from her endo. and he wants her to have test again to check for antibodies. However she went with her father to this appointment. and did not feel mentioning the hives , because she was thinking it was an allergy. After reading up on Hashimoto disease i can see that hives is a symptom of it, and she is displaying a few of the other symptoms. She is depressed to know she could very well have another autoimmune problem. I have noticed that there a some who have this , and have read that since she already has an autoimmune disorder that she is more prone to more. Is there anyone who can give advice or share their experience with this whatever you can give me to help. Not sure if i should speed up the bloodwork and tell them that she has some symptoms. she is not scheduled to see doctor one month and then the next

2. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

I have Hashimoto & also dealt with chronic (mine were every single day) hives for about 9 months. My hives actually started about a month after I was diagnosed with Hashimoto and had already started Synthroid (generic at that time). Initially, my dr switched my thyroid medication brand thinking it was an allergic reaction.

I ended up working with an allergist & endo to get the hives under control. My antibodies were quite high during that time, and my endo & allergist both seemed to lean towards the Hashimoto being a contributor to the hives, although neither would say for sure that was the cause.

I was taking a combination of Singulair, Claritin & Pepcid to keep the hives & angioedema at bay. Interestingly, I was able to wean completely off the allergy meds when my TSH levels were more stabilized and my antibodies had also dropped.

Honestly, once I got past the hives, Hashimoto is not too horrible to deal with. A little pill on an empty stomach once a day and bloodwork for dose adjustments.