- advertisement -

Positive for celiac

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by zapsmom, Mar 7, 2012.

1. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

I got a call today from our endo clinic, saying that my DD's blood test came back positive for celiac and she has to go for a scope. So does that mean she has celaic and the scope is just to see the damage that has been done? Or can it mean that there is a possible she has it and the scope will say for sure? I was told not to change her diet till she has the scope. I know I should know this since Dh has celiac but my brain has shut down. Maybe I am in denial that there is another issue with her.:(

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

It depends on what tests they ran. But scopes are standard (in most places) when the blood work comes back positive. Definitely don't change the diet until after the scope. Sometimes they can see the damage while doing the scope, sometimes they have to go through testing all the tissue from the scope to be sure.

3. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

The scope confirms what the blood work has discovered.

Is this a follow-up blood work? (As in, has there already been one lab run that showed signs of Celiac, so they ran them again using the more definitive test?)

If it's the second test and it comes back positive -- and very obviously so (normal is under 20, and my son was over a 1,000) -- then recent studies show that this is enough to diagnose Celiac.

Whether you do the biopsy is totally a personal decision. If the GI is willing to give you a formal diagnosis without the biopsy, then you don't have to do it. If they insist on the biopsy in oder to give a formal diagnosis, then you have to decide whether having that procedure done so you get the formal diagnosis is something you want to do. (I haven't run into a situation where a formal diagnosis is required -- but I don't do the tax write-off for GF foods thing.)

4. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

This is her four time being tested. The first time she was a 26 and they said she didn't have it. The second test the level was a 13 and the three test was a 9. They tested her this time due to her sugars levels being all over the palce and she has loss 12 lbs in three weeks. I don't know what her levels were this time b/c they don't tell me what her level was. I am going to find out when we see the D clinic at the beginning of April. I know that there was three blood test on the celaic panel that they did as well as the IgA. I have been wondering all day if I should call them back and ask for what her levels were?