- advertisement -

Portsmouth NH/Kittery ME

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by piratelight, Jan 17, 2012.

1. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

We will soon be relocating to the Portsmouth/Kittery area. Anyone in the area interested in meeting sometime once we move? Anyone in the area have an endo that they would recommend? I have considered requesting a referral to Joslin and seeing how that flies. We have Tricare.
    Thanks in advance for any information.

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

Well, about an 45 minutes north is Coco's endo - Dr. Olshen - love him. His practice is at Maine Medical in Portland. Boston is probably an hour and a half away from Portsmouth, so not sure how that will play into it.

I like our practice because there is one perky 25ish CDE with T1 - the kids love her. We always get stuck with the dragon though, but hey, I take everything she says with a grain of salt.

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

There is a wonderful office in Dover, about 10 min from portsmouth, their cde is EXCELLENT! ITs Wentworth Douglass hospital (or possibly the other way around? Douglass Wentworth? lol I always get it confused)... anyway, the CDE there does an awesome diabetes camp in Somersworth (right near dover),its a day camp, K goes every year. I haven't met any of the endo's there, but I know the CDE and support staff is awesome because its the same exact staff that is at the diabetes camp. Also, there is another office about 40min west in Bedford nh, its where K goes, cde is awesome there too.. they have some very good dr's as well.

You could easily go to Joslin as well, but the drive, ugh, I wouldn't want to deal with it, although from that area its probably at lot easier.. there are several people here who travel from NH to Boston for care. Beging in that location you have plenty of options.

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

And there is an awesome fake purse flea market about an hour away :cool:.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We are about 45 minutes from the seacoast. I am jealous, it's beautiful there! Definitely could meet up sometime!
    I have heard good things about the team over at Wentworth Douglas. They even do a summer day camp. We go to Joslin, there are several great docs over there too. They seemed to have increased their staff now, so there's a good supply of docs and nurses.

6. Beach bum

Do tell...

7. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

Thanks everyone. I will do more research into where Tricare would allow us to go.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

yes, please tell. :D

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

Derry Flea Market...so awesome!

10. Beach bum

Oh ya. I've been there, it's been a while. A lot of those people were arrested last year for selling knock off bags.
    I remember they had this really good bakery there too:eek:

11. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

Childrens hospital in boston has satellite offices in Waltham Ma as well as Salem Ma. They have an excellent diabetes program also