- advertisement -

Pool Party a Week After Diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MHoskins2179, Jun 10, 2015.

1. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Someone asked this question the other day, and I am not sure how to respond...

Daughter is new onset type 1. A week tomorrow since diagnosis. She is invited to a b-day party tomorrow. A pool party. Don’t know how in the heck to do it. Ideas? Planning?

Thoughts???

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Go. Bring a test kit. Test and eat frequently. Have fun!

I'd sip gatorade throughout, try to forgo the inevitable junk food if possible (maybe bring some pre counted snacks or sugar-free popsicles?) and correct when it's over. Watch for highs overnight.

I am inspired by many on this site who try to find balance - our kids can eat anything with the right amount of insulin, but it's worth the effort to mitigate spikes when we can and substitute less "spiky" food when available. Extrapolate this to activity too. No reason a kid with T1 should not be allowed to go to a summer pool party, but extra caution needs to be taken especially to avoid lows as there is still a lot of endogenous insulin production.

3. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

She should totally go!!!!! She needs to know that her life and plans continue and that while her diagnosis brings changes, it does not means her life/plans stop.

4. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Go.

15 carbs per 30 minutes of activity (if she is a teen)
    keep the insulin cool
    be in the background so she knows someone she loves is there in case of a problem.
    Watch out for lows that night.
    Ask the mom at the party what kind of cake and guess the carbs ahead of time.

5. Just Jen

Just Jen Approved members

I wholeheartedly agree! Our kids will live with this for a lifetime (unless a complete cure is found - which may happen but I won't hold my breath.) But they will only be kids for a short time. They shouldn't also be short-changed on the things that make childhood enjoyable and fun. Live life - get the number - treat the number. There are times when exceptions have to be made, but for the most part, they need to know life and fun don't end because of their diagnosis. They just have to make a few course adjustments here and there.

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

It would be good to know how old the child is. If it's a younger child it may be best to have a parent there, for an older child or young teen as well. Gets tricky with an older teen..

7. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

One week after Dx I'd have a parent there no matter the kid's age. Also, when I said watch for highs that night I meant watch for LOWS!

8. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Watch for lows afterwards for 10+ hours. 15 minutes of playing in a pool sends my daughter low for 12 hours.

9. njswede

njswede Approved members

Go! Err on the high side and test frequently. We tried to go on with our lives as normally as we could after DS's diagnosis and I'm glad we did.

10. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I agree. Sometimes people don't understand what a life changer the diagnosis is, but hopefully the party host will be understanding and let parents stay.

Second, I found that the anxiety leading up to an event was usually much worse than the actual thing. Things usually go much smoother than I imagine. :). Just be prepared and test every hour or so, and don't forget to have fun!!! The downside is lows but the upside is being to eat party food without a shot.

Think of it this way--if she can't go, she will blame diabetes for being a fun killer. She and diabetes are going to be together for a very long time so they need to learn how to be friends. It's best to start out on the right foot. :)

That's what I would say. :)

11. wilf

wilf Approved members

You're clearly not the parent of a teen.. :D

12. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Three more months, wilf! Though she doesn't have T1. :)

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

Well, let's chat in a couple of years. :)

I agree that there are reasons for concern, and good reasons for the parent to be at the party. But I think for those who are diagnosed as teens the challenges of a Type 1 D diagnosis are profound and quite different from those who are diagnosed either as children or adults.

14. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

I would just say test right before you go into the party at the car or whatever. That way you know where she is starting out before all the snacking and swimming begins, and if she wants to jump right into the water she can go for it! Have fun!

15. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

I love this so very much. I wish they had like buttons here. ;)

16. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

How did it go? We went to pool party shortly after. Lots of testing, going low, and eating drinking. It went fine and glad we went but swimming was crazy for him the first four months (soooo many uncovered carbs needed) so I would definitely attend along with. Even this year I'm afraid to send him swimming without me.

17. njswede

njswede Approved members

On a related topic, DS went (along with his twin sister) to the "Lemon Ball", which is a fundraiser ball for elementary school kids. Yes, those things exist! Anyway, he had a blast, was dancing like a maniac and we were shooting him full of insulin at the same pace as he was downing pizzas and brownies. :) BG was hovering between 110 and 160, so I think we did pretty well. We took the opportunity to chaperon the event so we could keep an eye on him and intervene. He didn't seem to think we were too much of a distraction and was dancing himself to a sweaty mess! :) There's nothing better than seeing him just being a normal, happy kid!

18. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I'd say you did a heck of a lot better than "pretty well" with BGs in the 110s to 160s with pizza in the mix. Great job!!!

Our kids can do [almost] anything!