- advertisement -

Poll: Replace Lantus with Levemir??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BothKidsT1D, Jul 22, 2009.

1. BothKidsT1D

BothKidsT1D Approved members

Have any of you discussed the recent news with your doctor ... and are you considering replacing Lantus with Levemir? Levemir is not associated with
    the same "potential" cancer risks.

Interested in your thoughts. Thanks.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Danielle's endo was not concerned at this time and is not recommending that we switch from Lantus. The European studies looked at older, overweight women with Type 2 diabetes, using very large doses of Lantus. She does not see enough solid evidence to switch at this time.

Here is a link to some info:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/93b22c78-7169-11de-a821-00144feabdc0.html

"A group of international medical experts convened by Sanofi-Aventis on Wednesday publicly rejected safety concerns over the French pharmaceutical group’s diabetes drug, Lantus."

"Their analysis triggered a statement from the European regulatory agency that it would examine the data in more detail, while urging patients not to switch prescriptions."

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  3. WhyMyBabyGirl

WhyMyBabyGirl Approved members

Yes, it was discussed, but I believe they believe it's only for type 2 women at large doses.

Of course I'm still extremely concerned, interesting to here what others are doing

4. BothKidsT1D

We may switch

The Lantus issue is specifically related to the receptor (IGF) targeted by Lantus. Levemir does not use this receptor. If Levemir works just as well, and does not have these (potential) issues, switching may be the route we will take. Our doctor is open to switching, as he is comfortable with Levemir.
    The one negative he mentioned with Levemir is that you need to use it twice a day, but we do that with Lantus already (split dose).

5. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

We will be discussing it at our next appointment in a couple weeks. I am not overly concerned but will switch to Levimer if she recommends it.

6. cpm122

cpm122 Approved members

Just an fyi - we are on levemir (just recently - before we were on nph and novolog mdi) We only do one dose of levemir in the pm, not twice a day.

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I am not concerned about the cancer risk, because it was specifically breast cancer that was associated, and because I believe that insulin resistance was part of it.

I would switch from Lantus to Levemir if I had to take the Lantus twice daily because Lantus stings and Levemir doesn't, and the sting is not my favorite thing.

8. still..hopeful

still..hopeful Approved members

We just went to our endo appt last week and he changed us from Lantus to Levemir. He said you could not deny the research findings and Levemir works the same. So far we have not had a problem. Alyssa is on the same dosage as she was before and everything good.
    Angie

9. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Our endo is not concerned at this time either. She will switch us to Levemir if we want, but there's no panic. We stuck with the Lantus for now. I'd hate to add more shots to his regimen.

10. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

Our endo told us that there is no evidence to support the need for to switch.

11. BothKidsT1D

Thanks, Angie: Switching to Levemir

Thanks, Angie. We are switching to Levemir. Levemir seems safer. And no acidic sting.

12. Schpoodle's Dad

Schpoodle's Dad Approved members

We actually went the other way - Levemir to Lantus. Lev didn't last and we saw a peak.

At some point we might switch back, but not right now.

13. trisha

trisha Approved members

At my son's last endo appt. (couple of weeks ago) his endo switched him from Lantus to Levemir....because of the controversy. No problems. With the endo's consent, I up'd the Levemir by 2 units and Patch's number were GREAT yesterday. Best I have ever seen.

14. momof1

momof1 Approved members

what is the deal with lantus stinging. is this true? my daughter uses lantus and has from the beginning said it hurt more than her novolog and almost always complains longer after that one. we hardly ever get complaints from novolog but we thought maybe it ws because it is a larger dose than she gets of novolog. that stinging is news to me.

15. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

We pump, but always have Lantus on hand for emergencies. Our endo said she is switching all her kids after the results of the 3 different studies done showing a potential risk. She readily admitted the studies weren't done on children, but said, better safe than sorry.

We switched in a heartbeat.

FWIW: When we were on MDI and lantus, we did not experience a sting.

16. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Before Kaleb went on a pump he used Lantus. He complained about it burning a lot. Not every shot but a lot of them.

17. BothKidsT1D

Lantus Stings because it is Acidic

The sting from Lantus is well understood. It is acidic in pH. A suggestion:
    my daughter is 5 and complains about it more than my son, who is 9. With my daughter, she has learned that Lantus shots are best in the calf, because she can't feel the sting. The nurses did not recommend the calf, but I would rather listen to my daughter on this one, believe me.

18. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I tried the calf for lantus before, and it REALLY stung. My calves are all muscle, so I can see why.

19. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

Kathy's endo switched us to Levimir from Lantus - but it seemed to me he did it due to the stinging, not the controversy. He asked her specifically if it stung when she did the Lantus shot and she said it did sometimes.

FWIW - we haven't had any problems with the Levimir so far. Seems to work just fine. Only problem I can foresee is the pen only has 1 unit increments. So if we ever need to change the dosage, I'll have to go up by full units instead of half units.