advertisement

Poll: A1C change after using CGM

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Darryl, Aug 22, 2008.

?

How much did A1C change after at least 3 months of CGM use (based on most recent A1C)

1. A1C dropped more than 1.5%

17 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. A1C dropped between 0.5% and 1.5%

70 vote(s)
    54.3%
  3. Little or no change (less than 0.5% change)

25 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. A1C increased between 0.5% and 1.5%

10 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. A1C increased more than 1.5%

7 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

5.9 August 09 started Dexcom immediately following.
    5.8 December 09

2. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Time for a new poll?

Great poll and I already voted months ago.

Just wondering, Darryl, if it would be good to make a poll on continued use of CGMS on A1C? Reviewing my records, my dh's A1C has continued to drop (an additional .8 after an already good initial 3 month drop). I think this is because I am becoming better at making sense of the data.

Just a thought.

3. Ali

Ali Approved members

:p Hard when that happens but the stress reduction alone makes it worth it to me and keep in mind that without it her last A1c might have been 8. Or you are now eliminating so many sustained lows that her current A1c represents numbers that are much more steady and better overall. Ali

4. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Ali, I'm optimistic that over time, we'll do even better. It's just really hard with a three year old. Her overnight basal needs are all over the place. If I make a change by just one increment, we either see 50's or 350's.

But her daytime numbers are better. :) And she'll be starting school in the fall. I couldn't imagine sending her without it at this point.

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

I already think you are doing a fantastic job.:) Ali

6. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

We just had our checkup and the A1c was 7.2, an improvement over our previous 7.6 but not as good as I expected.

Things had been going well up until the last month when he got the flu, followed by a cold. For these last 4 weeks, or average BG according to the sensor data was 164. Using the A1c calculator you get a 7.3, which is very close to what we got with the blood test today.

The 8 weeks prior to that his average BG was 139, which going by the calculator would have given us 6.5.

I know that the calculator is just a formula to give an estimate, but I was expecting something lower since the A1c is supposed to be indicative of the last 3 months.

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

Before CGMS 7.3
    After CGMS 6.5

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  8. Snowbound

you lost me there :cwds:

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

Before and after? Did I miss something?

10. Snowbound

Ok I get it, those are your numbers. I thought you were referring to my post.

11. lightnng

lightnng Approved members

On the Dexcom, I had no noticeable change to A1C (stayed at around 7.2/7.3).

3 months after I got on the Navigator, I was down to 6.7, and stayed there for a year.

3 weeks after the Navigator failed, and without replacement, it went up to 7.2 again.

But the worst part is the fluctuations. With the Nav, 300 was so rare the gap between occurrences was in months. For the past two months without it, I've seen it almost daily. And that's only a reflection of the rebounds from hypos on the other end. I simply cannot seem to get my "non-real-time" groove back on!

12. alismom

alismom Approved members

6.1 today:D, haven't been higher than 6.8 since dexcom.

13. emm142

emm142 Approved members

A1C was 7.9 right at the start of the year.

Now, after a few months of intermittant CGMS and 3 months of continuous CGMS, I'm at 6.5 and thrilled with that drop.. :D

14. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

We started pumping and CGM at the same time ... so hard to denote % associated with each ... but dropped from A1C of 6.8 on MDI to 6.3 ... Endo was very happy as was I! :D

Lisa

15. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I can finally add to this thread.

A1C in April was 7.2

I used the Bayer at home kit today as I had to cancel my appointment. First test 6.4, second was 6.2 . Falls in line with what I see on my meter and Dex. Feel very happy with that.

16. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Happy to report an A1c of 5.5 after using the Dex for 3 months. Using the Navigator she was in the same range, from 5.4 to 5.9 for about a year. No big decrease with either CGM, but less fluctuations and catching lows and highs much faster with less testing.

Just wanted to point out that she is an adult, not a child.

17. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Wow, I'm impressed with all these low A1Cs with the CGMS. We've gotten into the upper 6s (actually, we were there before the CGMS). But, I think her Std Dev is less on the CGMS. But, with the spikes we get from GF food and the fact that she seems to constantly be growing and needing more insulin, I can't imagine getting any lower than that for a long time!

18. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Just wanted to chime in that after almost a year of CGM use, Ava's last a1c was 7

YAY!!!!!!

I know we couldn't have gotten here without the CGM, but it took longer than 3 months. For some kids the CGM is a great tool to help ward off dangerous lows, understand spikes better, and give their poor sleep deprived parents some zzz's. But it doesn't always have an immediate effect on the A1C. Took us a while to get here.

19. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

February 2010 7.6
    May 2010 (after a few weeks of trialing CGM) 7.2
    September 2010 6.2 :)

We got our Guardian in May. It has helped us with limiting the spikes, catching highs and lows earlier and enabling us to run him lower in the night. Love it!

20. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Great job... that's amazing control for a 2 year old!