advertisement

Poll: A1C change after using CGM

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Darryl, Aug 22, 2008.

?

How much did A1C change after at least 3 months of CGM use (based on most recent A1C)

1. A1C dropped more than 1.5%

17 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. A1C dropped between 0.5% and 1.5%

70 vote(s)
    54.3%
  3. Little or no change (less than 0.5% change)

25 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. A1C increased between 0.5% and 1.5%

10 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. A1C increased more than 1.5%

7 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

I know the poll said after 3 months..we have been a little over a month but I voted anyways:D
    we dropped from 8.7 to 7.7

2. Logansmom

Logansmom Approved members

February 2009 8.5
    May 2009 7.5

Started CGM in February

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We've not been on the CGM quite a year yet, but we just got our lowest A1c - 5.8. To be fair, we really had an awesome 3 months and I don't expect to maintain that sort of control, but we couldn't have done it (safely) without the CGM!

4. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

That's amazing! We've hit 6.1 twice, with a 6.4 in between, and are quite pleased. Now we have a new target.:)

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

That is great. I am an adult and even with the CGM have not gone below 6.1. Pre pump sevens and above. Post pump sixes.(6.1-6.4 average). With the CGMS 9 months, a truer low six number cause of reduced lows. I will be amazed if I ever hit below six but I hope maybe to improve to a flat 6 over the next year. Ali

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Thanks, guys. Like I said, it was a really good 3 months, and we also had the "benefit" of gastro, where he ran lowish with no PP spikes for a good two weeks. He's also at what I consider the "perfect" age for this sort of control. Old enough to be somewhat cooperative, but young enough that he's in my care most of the time. I don't have any illusion that we'll be able to do much better than low to mid-6s on a consistant basis, but it's fun to have one awesome A1c. :)

7. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

March A1C was 7.7%, which was after two weeks of non-continuous CGMS use. Today, June, A1C was 6.3%, with no more than a two day break between six days of sensor use.

We are thrilled, and will probably try not to even have the two days in between sensors now, if Jayden's skin cooperates. We are having a terrible time with the backs of her arms getting raw and irritated under the sensor, tape, etc..

8. mph

mph Approved members

Quoting myself........;)
    6 months of CGMS = A1c of 5.9 :cwds:
    LOVING these sensors!!!!

9. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

That's a 2% drop in 6 months...:D

10. Ali

Ali Approved members

When my A1c went from 6.2 to 5.9 all my endo said was that is too low, "I want it higher cause it means too many lows". I was a bit surpised because while I may have ben having too many lows the lower A1c did not automatically mean that. One neeed to look at the CGM data. An A1c of 7 might have more bad lows than an A1c of 6.2 but no assumptions had ever been made with my A1cs in the sixes. :eek:Ali I am always happy to try and reduce lows it was just the assumption made that concerned me. My goal is not a lower A1c but more even numbers without very many or extreme highs or lows.

11. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Ali,

You've got it exactly right.

You might want to send your endo this study on the DCCT participants with regard to A1C vs. BG variability, and ask them to take a look at Figure 1.
    http://www.mendosa.com/minimal_variability.pdf

12. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Ours went up from 6.9% to 7.3% because our primary purpose for starting it was undetected lows. We've been struggling to get the highs down and the Navigator is helping with that, but the std dev is still higher than I would like and would at least like to get back down to 7.0%

13. Helmut

Helmut Approved members

3 months with the 7+. A1C went from 5.7 to 5.5. SD went from 60 to 30.

14. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Melissa has had A1c's consistently in the 5's for years now with the pump. Her first A1c after two months on the Navigator was 5.9, up from 5.4. We were catching a lot of lows that she was sleeping through, so it was not a big surprise. Just had another one done last week, after almost 8 months on the CGM and she is back down to 5.4.

15. seeingspots

seeingspots Approved members

Ours went from 6.0 to 5.7%. Not a huge drop, but then again, we are tickled pink with the result... because we achieved the 5.7 without a lot of highs and lows-- just nice consistant numbers within Alden's range.:D

(And all of this despite the repeated Dex bad sensor issues we've been battling.)

16. Toni

Toni Banned

A1c was 6.2 today. Between 6.1 and 6.4 all last year. 6.2 with fewer lows, much flatter after-dinner postprandials most of the time, still not always able to correct high BS due to growth spurts (can take 3 or 4 hours, even five sometimes, to come down). Got Apidra script today. Think that may change things. And cgms not 70 to 80 percent accurate most of the time, I would say 60 to 70 percent accuracy. Possible user error (using cgms same area as pump sites, but alternate sides). Will post next A1c after we start using the arm (longer sleeves, cooler weather). Definitely still room for improvement, but numbers are flatter overall.

17. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

Feb 2009: 7.1%
    April 2009 started on Dexcom
    June 2009: 6.8%
    Today: 6.3%

I was so happy to see that A1C!!! Best A1C since my honeymoon. I think I am in love with my Dexcom.:D

18. abrayome

abrayome Approved members

Gracie's last A1c was 6.4. She's usually been below 7, before and after CGM.

I don't think A1c is an appropriate measure of good control anymore. Before the CGM her A1c was good, but she had A LOT of lows with a some very HIGH highs. Now she's "evened" out considerably, not many highs, not many lows, just steadier. And her A1c is about the same.

I thought I read somewhere that there's a new test that measures BG variability more accurately. Or did I dream it? That's what's needed.

Oops, that's what you're talking about above - should have read all the posts!

19. Helmut

Helmut Approved members

The CGM measures BG variability. The only upside to a lab test is that the good doctor can charge for ordering the test. The lack of proper compensation might explain my doctor's lack of interest in my BG variability.

20. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Sorry to say that Ava's a1c hasn't changed, it even bumped up a tinsy bit 7.6 to 7.7

I was disappointed, but not surprised. Must say though my level of stress has dropped significantly.