- advertisement -

Polenta?

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by hrermgr, Dec 28, 2007.

1. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

I've read that polenta is GF (at least the stuff at Trader Joe's is) so I purchased some. Now I'm wondering what I should do with it besides fry it. Anyone have a good recipe or two?

2. aklap

aklap Approved members

3. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

We tried Polenta on New Year's Eve as an appetizer and everyone liked it! Thanks for info, Al. We'll be eating more of it.

4. Theresa

Theresa Approved members

You can also cut it into french fry sticks after it is cooled and bake in the oven -- we like ours seasoned before baking with garlic salt and paprika. MMMM MMM good. :p

Preheat oven to 425F--Transfer the cut “fries” onto a baking sheet with parchament paper or baking sheet with a light coating of olive oil.
    Sprinkle with seasoning of choice - Bake for 20 minutes and then turn them over and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until golden. --If you like a little more crunch, just bake them a few more minutes. Serve hot with your favorite sauce - ketchup, BBQ, Ranch, Sour Cream, cheese sauce, honey mustard or whatever makes you smile!

5. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Great idea, Theresa! Never thought of that. I did make my own polenta over the weekend--added spices--and it was pretty good. But the "fry" idea sounds great!

6. Theresa

Theresa Approved members

We have also made our polenta using chicken broth for the water and then when cooled... the kids and I did cut outs, like christmas cookie cutters - LOL
    Then baked like above and ate them with hummus, sliced black olives and diced tomatoes. (the kids "decorated" them into smile faces - it was cute)

We have also sprinkled it with taco type seasoning (gluten free, but not all are so check label first)
    and made mini open face tacos

We were thinking it would be fun to do mini sandwiches with them next.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008