- advertisement -

Pods falling off

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by StacyMM, Sep 30, 2013.

1. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

As if the bolus failures aren't enough of an issue (and we have had two of those in the middle of the night in the past few days), we now have pods falling off every time they get wet. This is a new issue to us so I'm not sure what's changed because we had 5 good months without problems and haven't changed anything. We even made it through a summer of swimming with very few issues.

I'd love advice on what we can do. He's 11 and in that tween 'who cares about hygiene' phase so it's not like he's showering every day. But, EVERY shower results in a lost pod now. He's also lost a few to sweat while running around.

Here's what we do:
    Prep with alcohol, let dry
    Wipe down with barrier wipe, let dry
    Spray Cavilon, make sure it's sticky
    Apply pod
    Tape down the pod with Hypafix
    And, afterward, if there is any loosening or peeling while it's on those 2-3 days, we re-tape.

He's allergic to: SkinTac, Hypoallergenic SkinTac, Mastisol, KT tape, Hypafix, Flexifex, Tegaderm, Cavilon. With the barrier wipe, we can use Cavilon and Hypafix for pods. With the barrier wipe, Flexifix is okay for about a day, sometimes two, so not quite long enough. We can't, with the CGM, so the barrier buys us about three days. The only barrier wipe we've had good luck with so far is ReliaMed.

He rotates between stomach and arm. He doesn't take long showers. We've actually asked him to avoid washing near pods and to try not to let soap or shampoo run down onto the pods just in case they are loosening the tape. He does try because he'd rather not have a pod change.

I've purposely opened multiple boxes of pods to try different lot numbers and I've stopped using any 404xx lots - they are the 'if we're desperate' part of the stash. All of these are 405xx pods.

Any advice? Any ways to make him stickier? :p We'll try anything!

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Were there any changes in the first 3 products? New boxes/bottles?

We haven't seen any change in adhesion - they're still nearly impossible to get off after three days for us.

3. Dan

Dan Approved members

We have not noticed any change with the adhesive. We only use alcohol wipes and let it dry. No issues on our end.

4. Wren

Wren Approved members

We've had only minimal adhesion issues, but we occasionally use allkare barrier wipes.

5. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

I'm right there with you... One fell off ds in the shower last night, 2 after mild outdoor activity and one while swimming.... Granted it was in a lake dropping from a zip line so that may have had some impact... :)

We have also used skintac and Hollister wipes. Trying a few samples of Bards to see if that helps.

6. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I too find the adhesive on the new pods weaker than the old ones. I don't think I can help you though as we use opsite on EVERYTHING! It's the only thing that works consistently for us.

7. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

My thought is that maybe his skin is changing--which causes the loss of stickiness. Maybe you could try thoroughly washing wih soap and water before your pod routine.

His wont work for stomach, but have you tried the tape that only sticks to itself (I don't know what it's called)? Its like he stuff they use when you have bloodwork done. You could wrap it around his entire arm over the pod to hold it on.

Did you mention kinesiotape? Athletes use it so it must stay on with excessive sweating. Just a thought.

Good luck!

8. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Charlie has to take quick showers unless we are going to do a pod change. We have always had issues with sites falling off, though.

Last week we actually had a pod fall off the adhesive. The adhesive was still stuck nicely on the skin but pod was off.

9. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Same here, we now need to put Mastisol or Skin Tac on the back of each pod. Never had to do that before except for swimming. I think that they may have changed it because the weight of the pod has changed?