- advertisement -

Pod Failures 1st and 2nd Day of School!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tyson'smom, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Tyson'smom

Tyson'smom Approved members

I am really at my wits end - my 8 year old has been using the Omnipod for 3 years with virtually no problems. Over the last few weeks we have had so many pod failures that I have lost count. A few days ago we got our quarterly shipment of new pods, so I stopped using the ones I had left from the last shipment thinking that maybe they were just a bad batch of pods. Well, the new shipment of pods are not much better. Yesterday was the first day of school - Tyson ate lunch and on his way to the nurse's office to be bolused - his pod started screaming. Okay, go to school, slap on a new pod. He gets home and is just sitting on the couch and that pod starts screaming. Slap on Pod #3 for the day. About 3 minutes later, it starts screaming. Okay, are you friggin' kidding me?? Now we are on to Pod #4 - it primes all fine and dandy and while walking from kitchen to living room with pod in hand - it starts screaming. This cannot be happening. On to POD #5 for the day!! This one finally works! Day 2 of 3rd grade - another call from the nurse - she checked Tyson's blood sugar before lunch at Noon. After lunch he brings his tray to the nurse so she can figure out how many carbs he has eaten and boluses him - he is standing there with his tray- nobody is doing anything and his POD STARTS SCREAMING. I am literally ready to pull my hair out and put my kid back on shots - which I really, really do not want to do. I called Omnipod but they need me to call back when I have the PDM so I can give them the alarm history.

I'm wondering if maybe we should buy a new PDM? Ours is the newer one but I think it may be like 2 years old now.

Has this happened to anyone else? Help.

2. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. When we started pumping we had what seemed to be a run of bad pods. It was soooo frustrating.

Things have been much better for a while now.

Hope that Insulet is able to give some insight to what is going on so that you can address it!

3. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

That happened to us when we started podding in January. They finally ended up replacing 2 entire shipments.
    Sorry this is happening.

4. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We had a bad shipment like that, and it drove us crazy! Luckily, it was one shipment, which they replaced.

I thought it might have been the PDM as well, but the rep I talked to said if it was a PDM problem, the errors would be during priming/communication after insertion. Not sure how accurate that is, but once we got our new shipment, we have had (hoping I don't jinx myself here) no errors out of 2 boxes.

So I'd be more inclined to think it was a shipping problem. It's crazy annoying though, and I you get out of the bad streak of them soon!

5. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

We started having the same issues when our PDM was at the two year mark. It was driving us crazy too... I called Insulet and told them what was going on, that I thought it was the PDM. They agreed to send a new one, I did send back the old one when I received the new one. We have great success with the new PDM. I would call Insulet. Good luck.:cwds: