- advertisement -

Please shoot me now!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 3js, Dec 3, 2007.

1. 3js

3js Approved members

The situation at school has now reached kaftaesque proportions.

An assembly took place today, which a notice was sent home for. A cake was being served, but I only I found out about the cake by chance this morning before school, and called to find out what kind ect. NO BIGGIE.

The teacher (who planned this AND bought the cake) refused to tell me what kind of cake, or ROUGHLY how big the pieces that she had just cut were !!!!!!!!!!!

She didn`t want to tell me if it was chocolate or friggin vanilla yadayada because she didn`t want to give me the wrong info. ???????

Rather, she wanted me to walk up to the school and "SEE" the cake myself.

Is it just me, or is this insane?

When it was all said and done and cake was handed out, my son`s was presented to him by the principal on a ceramic plate, with a metal fork, wrapped in plastic. Every other kid had theirs handed out on styro by other kids.

2. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

It is hard enough for me as an adult with diabetes to figure out carb counts for myself.

My hat is off to all you wonderful parents and the things you have to do and put up with everyday just to take care of your diabetic child.
    I am thankful that I was diagnosed at 21 and my mother did not have to go thru this.

The school is insane !

3. mom2kenny

mom2kenny Approved members

What the h#ll was the idea behind the plate and fork? Do they try to bring attention to him by doing that? How stupid are they? I am mad with you. What was the problem with the teacher not even telling you what kind of cake it was.

4. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

I'm shaking my head here. Can't even begin to imagine what was going through any of their minds...

5. Mymommymommy

Mymommymommy Approved members

stupid teacher!

6. Boo

Boo Approved members

WTF???

I'd be mad. What was their intention by putting it on a ceramic plate with a metal fork covered by plastic wrap??!! I'd perhaps be a bit more understanding if they'd wrapped it with intention of him taking it home...but then why the metal fork and ceramic plate? (Almost as good as the teacher who thought my son would just take his popsicle home "in his pocket"!)

So the teacher who gave you no advanced notice of the cake being served all of a sudden was SO CONCERNED over your child's health that she didn't want to give out the "wrong information" by letting you know if it was chocolate or vanilla?! :rolleyes:

I generally like to give the school staff the benefit of the doubt, but that would have ticked me off too. It would be hard for me to stay kind and non-sarcastic while enlightening them of the absurdity of the situation.

I hope it goes better next time!

7. 3js

3js Approved members

YES that was one of the more memorable posts on here!

Scary stuff:eek::D

8. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Its not hard to tell if a cake is vanilla or chocolate. :D Why all the fuss?? is she scared of being sued or something?

9. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

#$%& #!()* $%^&*^%$E# beeep munters (term for inbred over here). As if life isn't hard enough!

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

I am at a loss for words...wanted to give you some advice, but to shocked...the teacher who made it didn't remember what kind...I want what she's having!

11. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

what the heck!! yeah i dont understand the plate with the fork either. how stupid of the teacher to have acted that way. did this upset your child? that school needs some compassion and alittle of training on diabetes. i think that this should be mandatory, for all teachers to learn alittle about diabetes.

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Ok, I'm stumped. How can someone be so ignorant????

Your kid is having a sugar laden cake. At this point, does the flavor really matter?

AAAAACCCCKKKKK! Is all I can say:eek::mad::confused:

13. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

:eek::eek::eek: There just aren't enough "eek" smileys for this! :eek:

14. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

OMG!!! How did you keep your cool. I am very afraid I would have immediately had the principal and teacher in the broom closet pummeling them!!!
    How awful for your son. I hope he is ok with all the BS!!

15. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Oh brother. Wouldn't you just like to "scream" sometimes? I will have to say this is a first, when people think the flavor of the cake raises someone's Blood sugar.

16. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Almost as good as the teacher who thought my son would just take his popsicle home "in his pocket"!)

Oh did you bring up a memory. Quite a few years ago I had this little boy in my class that thought if snow would last outside then he should be able to sleep with a snowball in his bed and it would still be there in the morning. .

17. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

OMG and WTF is right!!! Sounds like you need to go to the Superintendent for some education... That principal and teacher were way out of place..