- advertisement -

Please Help!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by klostien, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Reading these books is a great way to gain confidence to manage your daughter's diabetes without step-by-step directions from the endo.

2. klostien

klostien Approved members

I am not quite sure with anything right now and the endo's office... They have never mentioned that so far. We tried her on the levemir and split doses on the levemir and her numbers were no better at the time so we switched back to lantus. The lantus does seem to work better. I am not sure about splitting the lantus just yet either. Her numbers did seem to get slightly better in the mornings since we have lowered the lantus and she has not woke up with any lows which she was waking up with once a weeks or so on the higher dose of lantus.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I guess I was just looking at the numbers you posted and saw how high she was almost every morning. I have found that when Danielle starts off the day in range, it is much easier to manage her diabetes throughout the day, and the inverse is true, high numbers in the morning make things more difficult all day.

This is just a very difficult disease to manage and there are so many variables that effect bg levels.

4. klostien

It has been a crazy few weeks for us and her numbers... Actually a crazy 11 months with no resolution yet. Most of the mornings she is high but then there is always a low to throw everything off.

It seems that no matter what I do am cannot get her numbers ok.

I am in desperate need of some help. It seems that her doctor's office cannot even figure things out.

See below for her numbers today.

6:31 am - 257 - 24 carbs - 2 units + 2 units adjustment
    9:00 am - 175
    10:00 am - 6 carbs - 0 units
    12:10 pm - 134 - 39 carbs - 2 units
    2:00 pm - 339
    4:29 pm - 247

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

That is frustrating. This is just a thought but could there be an issue with the shots at school? It almost seems like she didn't get insulin, meaning maybe it was a bad spot. Or maybe the person giving the shot made a mistake. Or maybe her lunch ratio needs to be tweaked.

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

As a few have mentioned already, work in some overnight testing and tweak what needs to be tweaked to get the waking up BG more in range. It will definitely help for a better start of the day. Once you get that done, then work your way to blocks of the day, a block at a time, otherwise the frustration will only increase.

You can always tweak things yourself and then let the endo office know about it.:cwds:

I would also renew all insulin vials at home and at school, just to get one variable out of the equation, as well as doing a control test with a different meter. You never know.

Good luck.

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Krissy, I just want you to know that its not your fault. That is what type 1 diabetes is all about. I even have a picture of a brick wall that I post on FB once in awhile called my type 1 head womping wall, along with a picture of a very freaky looking guy flipping the bird. Because even after 7 1/2 years of doing this I still have days when I cant get his #s ok or in range, sometimes for several days at a time, I just chalk it up to a growth spurt, full moon, changing of the seasons, etc, etc;)

I agree with having decent wake up #s can really set the stage for a pretty decent day and that sometimes its real hard to get control of things when they wake up high. For Steven if he wakes up real high I seem to be fighting those highs all day and wonking my head against that brick wall. Sometimes I honestly believe that its absorption problems with the Lantus so that if your CWD wakes up high it may mean that there just isnt alot of basal insulin there working because of the absorption problems so that youll see the high #s all day long and be trying to deal with them using fast acting corrections.

We have had really good luck with our timing of the Lantus shot. I used to give it to Steven closer to 9PM and he would often be real high when my husband tested him at night and need corrections most nights. Now that he gets it at 8 it seems to kick in and be working alot better by the night time check.

8. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

Have you tried eating very low carb for a couple of days to see what happens. Maybe on a weekend? I know it's harder with a youngster that may not like certain foods, but if you could just concentrate on eating meat, veges, cheese and eggs for a couple of days you could sort out what is going on with basals.

Once you get the basal set right, you can work on the food bolus ratio. But it's very hard to get bolus ratios right when basal is off.

For my dd Lantus worked well for 2 years, then we started seeing high numbers in the morning that were very resistant to insulin. We simply could not control them on MDI. Going to pump allowed us to set basal to match her needs and now it is much better.

One other thing I thought I would mention. About 6 months ago we were getting crazy numbers like what you are seeing - both highs and lows. I did a lot of basal testing and the basals seemed to be fine, but then out of desperation (because I had tried everything else) I raised her basals by 20%. Suddenly, everything just evened out and became much easier to manage. Doing basal testing at this higher basal showed me that she was fine and holding steady. I can't explain why my dd has such a broad range of 'basals that work' and it's a concept that I haven't heard mentioned anywhere else. Maybe it has to do with some residual beta cells making insulin.

9. klostien

All of these are good suggestions. I gave her a snack at 5:45 because we had an early dinner. I will be checking her at 9 pm and giving her lantus. We will see what she wakes up at tomorrow morning and go from there. I think her lantus is pretty much where it needs to be but I will double check tonight and do a check around 1 am also.

I am sooo much at my breaking point. I have been trying so hard and it just seems I cannot get anywhere and I am just not getting the support from her doctor's office.

Tomorrow is another day and we will see what happens.

10. CheriMomTo8

CheriMomTo8 Approved members

Hang in there!! I think what a PP said about focusing on one block of the day is very helpful. It's so easy to feel overwelmed! Maybe you can just focus on the early morning and then go from there. It helps me to do that when our basals get all wacky.

You will make it through this.

Blessings

11. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

This^^^ is perfect!

I have a few thoughts, but I'm curious to see the overnight results first. Also, am I correct in understanding that you are only correcting during the day if she is over 200? And from looking at that amounts of insulin you are giving with meals it appears you are correcting to a target of 200?