- advertisement -

Playing in the rain??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danielsmom, Sep 10, 2011.

1. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Life before D you made different choices.. Now I think only of my son's health and well being... we're to start soccer games today.. they are predicting thundershowers..Games don't get cancelled unless your knee deep in water on those fields....He's played in the rain before...back to back..it affected his sinus badly that one year and he got sick.. I don't need my child getting sick...what would you do... I won't let him play if its raining hard... is that bad?

2. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Would you have let him play in the rain before he had diabetes?

That would be my answer.:cwds:

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I don't think diabetes should affect whether or not you let him play in the rain.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Our first football game this year was played in the rain.

Your son's job is to be a normal kid. YOUR job is to figure out how to make that happen. You can't keep him in a bubble. Let him play.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  5. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Friendly advice....there is no need to make different choices....You just need to think "how am I going to make this work with diabetes?" The situations don't need to change, sometimes the way we approach a situation needs to change:cwds:

6. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Ditto. It's scary and mom instincts strive to just avoid risk, but would Daniel be sad or feel left out if he wasn't allowed to play?

If he gets sick, you'll deal with it. For right now, I'd suit him up and let him slosh around with the team and have some fun (playing in the rain was always the most fun for my boys in soccer, they love mud sliding :rolleyes:)

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

And if you did pull him off the field how would you explain that to him and to his team? That he is too delicate to play sport in the rain?:confused: He needs to hear that he can do anything he did before D, not that he's now a sick person who must be pampered.

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Someone once told me (I think one of our endos, maybe) that my child has a disease, not that he is a sick child. Does this make sense? I know it's way easier to protect them from every bug and virus and bacteria and whatevers, but honestly, you cannot make them live in a bubble all the time...for their sake...and for yours. I know how hard it is to say "How can we make this work?" because it often means a lot of planning and lots of grey hairs and stuff, but usually it's doable.

So, yes, let him play in the rain.

9. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I wold let him play, rain doesn't make you sick, viruses do. It was probably a coincidence last time. I would give him an allergy pill though :)

10. caspi

caspi Approved members

I totally agree with the above.

To the OP, I know you are still so very new to all of this, but it is crucial that your son lead a normal life. Diabetes does NOT have to change that! :cwds:

11. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Playing soccer in driving rain is one of the best ways to play the game, from the standpoint of enjoying the heck out of the game. You bet I'd let my kid play! (And I have!)

I draw the line at lightning. THAT is a danger. Rain is not.

12. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

My DD was jumping on the trampoline the other evening in the pouring down rain ( it was dumping buckets ) She had the best time:D. The dog and I watched from the covered porch;). The thought never crossed my mind not to let her play in the rain.....she always has!

13. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

It didn'r rain....yippee....I see your point, don't let fear be my leader. Thanks..

14. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

don't let DIABETES be your leader.

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, you control the diabetes, don't let it control you.