- advertisement -

Plastic vs. Steel

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Aidan'sMom, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Aidan'sMom

Aidan'sMom Approved members

Aidan has used the 6mm Contact Detach from the start, his sites are starting to leave really bad knots and bruises on his butt/hip area. He is still sooooo skinny that he doesn't have many places to insert his infusion sets! I rotate from the backs of his arms to his butt/ hip area every 3 days. I also use antibiotic ointment on his site areas after I remove the set. My question is for those of you pumpers, or parents of pumpers, that have used both steel sets and plastic....is one set (steel/plastic) better than the other for cutting down on the knots, bruises, irritation and scarring?? I really love the Contact Detach because of the extra protection of his site not getting accidentally yanked out, but his little bottom is looking pitiful these days!! We also chose the steel set for the peace of mind that came from eliminating kinking. Any advice, tips or tricks are greatly appreciated!!! Thanks :)

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's been a while since we used anything other than a teflon canulas. We started with the Rapid-D - we switched after ... maybe 6 months to the inset because she didn't like the way the steel set felt when it got knocked on the playground.

It can't hurt to try.

3. Aidan'sMom

That is kind of what I was thinking....it can't hurt to try! I have 6mm Insets on hand.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hope they cause less damage and need less healing time :cwds:

Good luck!

5. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

This is an interesting topic to me, because I have noticed that if I have a steel set in a place where it won't get beat up, I get NO lumps / scar tissue. If I have a teflon cannula anywhere, I get a slight lump / scar tissue. If I have a steel set somewhere it'll get jostled around and bumped a lot, I get the most scar tissue.
    I think since the steel sets are thinner, they cause less damage to the tissues if not being moved around, bumped, etc. but will cause more damage since sharper and more narrow if bumped around.
    Does this make sense?
    This is just my theory and what I have noticed with me personally.

6. Aidan'sMom

Yes, that makes perfect sense. His arms have no lumps, bruises or scars. His butt, where he is always jumping around and sitting on it, looks horrible.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes, we noticed that too when we used the steel sets.