- advertisement -

Plastic or Glass drinkwear marked with ounce lines?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mamattorney, May 27, 2013.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

This is semi off topic. Has anyone ever seen tumbler type glasses with ounce markers?

We have a few saved cups from Champps (a chain) where the kids meals came with reusable plastic cups with ounce lines on the side. They are really helpful to measure out 4oz or 6oz of juice etc. Well, another one bit the dust last night (came out of the dishwasher cracked) and we only have about three left. Can't get more because the restaurant went to "non take home" kids' cups.

I did a google search and couldn't find any. But if you've seen some anywhere, please let me know! Thanks!

2. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

Not exactly what you are looking for but I got some of these cups with my son's initial on them and because there are little lines on the cup we now know where 1/2 cup, 1 cup, etc falls. You could probably even use a sharpie to make a mark on them if you want to. Just an idea if you can't find something else.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=121143&RN=2512&

3. Mish

Mish Approved members

I've looked for something decent over the years. When he was small he had this perfect 8oz plastic cup that had a 4oz line. We just use a measuring cup for small amounts, but I know how easy it is when the glass is marked for a kid who drinks a lot. :)

NOw that he's older my regular drinking glasses (I think crate and barrel) are 18oz cups and so I know now that about 1/2" from the top is 16oz and that where the design ends is 8oz. But below that, we just keep a measuring cup handy just for him. My mother keeps one handy on the glass shelf just for his use as well.

4. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

How about the tumblers that are sold for measuring and mixing protein shakes? I also found a plastic tumbler style salad dressing shaker with a lid and closeable spout at the dollar store that had a lot of markings on it. For precise measuring I have a small Pyrex glass with minute markings.

5. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

6. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Thanks everyone! With your help (especially using the search term "shaker") I did a little more searching and found something great - it's a Tervis tumbler with measurement markings. OK, it's actually a cocktail shaker, but without the lid, it's a regular Tervis cup and will definitely work. I love Tervis cups anyway - so it wouldn't be reserved just for Kaylee.

I've reached out to Tervis to see if they make just the tumbler with that wrap (since a regular 16oz tumbler is around $11 and with the shaker top it's $19) without the top, but if they don't, I'll pick up one or four anyway and just put the tops away.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/57697-tervis-16-oz-cocktail-shaker.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  7. sooz

sooz Approved members

8. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

we LOVE the one that we have and I always keep an eye out for more. Yes it is a shaker cup that came free with some product or another. It is so nice to measure right in the cup that is drunk from.

Sometimes my dd likes to just drink from a measuring cup.

For travel, paper Dixie cups come in two sizes. You can make marks on a bunch of them and just leave them on the table when done.

On our everyday drinkware I just know where to pour for a certain amount if it is something not too critical like milk.

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Emma was 2 when she was diagnosed, so we still had sippy cups. I still use them now because they have ounce markings on them and we use them for juice. Overnight, we still use the spout because I can shove it in her mouth and she'll drink without even waking up, but during the day we just drink out of it like a regular cup. So, check out the toddler aisle and see if you can find something that might work

10. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

A lot of camping cups/mugs have ounce markings... it makes them dual purpose, why take a measuring cup camping if your drinking cups already have marks :)

11. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

I'm glad you found something you feel will work. I am still using the bottles that were originally for breastmilk collection. They measure to the nearest quarter ounce. Of course, these are mostly used for lows while at home and not general drinking (especially being that my child is now 12).

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I just weigh it on the scale into the cup/bowl to be used.

13. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

Okay, so I'm reading this thread a couple of months later, but did not see this response:

Canning jars - 16 oz. widemouth jars; 8 oz. jelly jars

They have ounce markings as part of the glass, totally last through dishwasher washings, and if they break, no biggie - they're cheap and easy to get at most grocery/big box/hardware stores.

Works for us :).

14. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We got a Nalgene water bottle with measuring lines (mL and oz) on the side last winter. It's the best for sledding, etc. when filled with apple juice!