- advertisement -

Plantar wart on foot?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dshull, Jul 9, 2014.

1. dshull

dshull Approved members

My son came home from D camp with a plantar wart on the bottom of his foot. Not too big and he says he can't feel it. I have some wart remover (prescription) from when my daughter (non D) had one last summer. I have been putting in on the wart and then started reading the insert with the stuff, which said not to use if you had diabetes. Googled it and seemed universal to not self-treat a wart on the foot for diabetics. I am thinking this is more advice for type 2 and not type 1? Should I take him to the dermatologist or try to kill it myself first? I know all about high blood sugars and damage to feet, but my hunch is this is less concerning for a well controlled T1D kid. Thoughts?

2. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

It is OK to use the wart treatment on your DS. My DD had one a while back. I asked the endo and pedi drs and was given the green light to give the treatment. I think it is only a problem if there are issues with feet care and bg numbers are not managed properly.

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I agree with you, I think those warnings are for folks who have neuropathy and are at risk for diabetic foot sores/non healing wounds, etc. I wouldn't say it's meant for T1 vs T2 but more geared to those who have loss of sensation and poor circulation/healing.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

Apply a nice big square of duct tape and replace every time it comes off for about 10 days - home remedy! :)

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I agree it's most likely more for type 2 or poorly controlled diabetes. Because they sometimes have trouble healing.You can always ask your endo to be sure. I'd feel comfortable using it. :)

Alternately, I was talking with someone earlier today who said she used essential oils to get rid of a wart. I think it was basil that she used. Just a thought. :)

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

OMG I am going to try this!!!

My dd gets small warts on her legs, we have done the dermo thing and it is no fun and leaves scars.

7. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I agree with the duct tape route! (I had a nasty plantar wart on my foot, and it was the only thing that worked, including several cycles with a dermatologist freezing it off. The dermatologist finally gave up and recommended we try the duct tape trick.)

The method I followed is this:

Put on a piece of duct tape just larger than the wart itself. Cover with a bandaid and keep it on for 6 days, replacing the duct tape/bandaid combo as needed if it falls off.
    On the seventh day, remove the tape/bandaid and use a piece of emery board (nail file) to grind down as much of the top layers as is comfortable. Throw out the piece of emery board when done. (Soaking the skin in a warm bath beforehand helps this along, too.)
    Let it breathe overnight.
    The next day, start the cycle again by applying another round of duct tape and bandaid.

You may have to do this for just three weeks, but it could take several cycles, depending on the tenacity of the wart. (It took me about six weeks, but it eventually died.)

Good luck.

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

http://www.webmd.com/men/news/20021015/duct-tape-gets-rid-of-warts

Or you can go to the dermatologist and have it dealt with a tad bit sooner.

9. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Dandelion juice works too. My grandmother told me this, and I've used it on myself and my DD.

10. cococay

cococay Approved members

When my oldest (t1D) had one on his toe, put up on his toe-nail we were told to use the salicylic acid products and duct tape.. It worked - think it took a week or a little longers.

When my daughter (non-D) had 1 biggish and somewhat painful one with a couple small ones around it, the doc we went to did the nitrogen freeze - worked fast and on the bottom of the foot scarring wasn't a concern.

When my daughter developed what I'm sure were some small ones on both feet, my youngest was a baby, and so I treated them with breast milk, and they healed up fast and beautifully.

11. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

To be honest, this sounded like an old wives' tale. But I found an article on WebMD that supports your statement. I learn something new every day!

12. cococay

cococay Approved members

I totally agree it does sound like an ol' wives tale, but the more you consider the antibodies being passed, the more it made sense.. I figured I had nothing to loose trying - I definitely wasn't going to hurt her or anything. Was really happy I did! :)

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Tea Tree oil works great too.

14. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

So does liquid iodine soaked on a bandaid.

15. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I would've thought the dermatologist route would've been faster, too.

Not so in our case. I went to our dermatologist for months and months, and freezing it off had zero effect. She was the one to give us the details on the duct tape process.

The wart responded beautifully and has not recurred, and it's been years now.

16. swellman

swellman Approved members

We had 2 freezes 2 weeks apart and a pad with some acid - I'm too lazy to Google it. It went away just fine in that 2 week process.

They also will go away on their own and, since it's a virus, they will build immunity to it. That why they don't often re-occur.

I'm not saying the duct tape doesn't work just that it normally takes a lot longer. For us it was a few weeks before pool season.

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Mine had one frozen off a few years back, it worked, but I still don't think she's forgiven me (or the Dr)

18. Ali

Ali Approved members

Just me two cents, Drs may sometimes be faster but sometimes using an easy home remedy is easier. This is especially true if you have a busy household with lots of kids and/or you do not have insurance/and or it is a month to see the dermo after a month to see your primary to get a ref... You get my point, not too mention that it costs us all much more in the long run to go to the MD for minor stuff that has a cheaper remedy at home. I actually just hate dealing with setting up appts, driving to the clinic, waiting to see the Dr, redoing all the forms, getting weighed and "measured" before dealing with a "blister" or some other minor issue, my time is way more valuable than that. A bit of duct tape at home takes little time and is cheap for everyone.:p ali