- advertisement -

Pizza!!??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nicole N, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Nicole N

Nicole N Approved members

I'm sure this question has been posted many times, but I need to ask.

How do we program the pump to eat pizza? Every time my 9 year old son eats pizza he goes high up to 5-6 hours later. He wears the Minimed Revel Medtronic pump and we have tried the dual wave many times with no luck. We've done a 50/50 dual for 2 hours, a 50/50 dual for 4 hours, etc. and cannot seem to find the correct setting.

Are there any other parents of 9 year olds who have luck with pizza?

Thanks,
    Nicole

2. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh is 14 and we just started experiencing problems with pizza! She been dx for almost 3 years and up until last month we could post bolus for pizza and her numbers would remain stable. No spikes, No lows. We tried a 50/50 combo but that did not work. She still dropped low (60s) 2 hours after eating, then spiked high (270s) 3 hours after the low.

but yesterday my husband took Ashleigh and her sister out for pizza. I made her do a combo bolus of 0% up front than 100% extended over 3 hours. I think it worked out pretty well.

7:25pm: BS 125 combo bolus for pizza and bbq wings (9.9 units)
    8:34pm: BS 144 reg bolus for chocolate cupcake.
    11:01pm: BS 96 (over night check by me), I decide to recheck in 1 hour because she's below 100
    12:04am: BS 92 dropped a little so i give her 1 glucose tab. Was going to recheck in an hour, but slept through the alarm.
    4:11am: BS 159. Correct
    7:20am: BS 112.

over all a whole lot better than BS in the 60s or 270s!

3. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

This is what we do:
    I give the whole bolus before pizza and after 2 - 2.5 hours give another one
    (for example: 5 units first one, 2.5 u - next one). It is a little bit scary to bolus when she's around 100, but works well (well, most of the time ;)).

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

5. Eric's mom

Eric's mom Approved members

We followed Gary's pizza and blood sugar control from type1university.com. have zero spike from pizza. Took us a few times of experiments but got it figured out. Two pieces and two bread sticks 3 units at dinner, 2 after , 2hrs later 4u over 2 hrs , then temp basal 4 hrs .

Highly recommend watching his video..

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We dose 70% of the carbs "up front", do a square wave for 50% of the carbs over 5 hours or so, and usually need to do another straight bolus around hour 3.5 or 4 in sort of a random amount.

7. Nicole N

Nicole N Approved members

Thanks so much everyone. I will keep at it. :)