- advertisement -

Ping "Pump is not primed, no delivery"

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BittysMom, Jul 19, 2012.

1. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Why is this error message suddenly happening? Her last site/cartridge change was yesterday morning. What does this mean? Thanks.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Could be the cap was loose -- it happens from time to time.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, double check that the battery cap is on securely. We had it happen yesterday. Turns out my daughter dropped hers on the floor and it loosened it just enough.

Keep a record of it just in case it happens again. It's the one error message that doesn't get recorded into history.

4. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I agree--it's probably just a loose cap. (If, however, there are visible cracks near the battery cap and you've just had the pump in a pool, then check the battery chamber to see if it's corroded. This just happened to us!)

A simple twist of the cap should resolve it if it just came loose.

But, if it happens twice in fairly quick succession, put a call into Animas to register the error with their tracking system.

If the pump needs to be replaced, I believe they need to see the error three times before they send out a replacement.

5. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Ditto - we just had a cracked case. But we kept getting a low battery warning.

The 2 main things to check are loose battery cap or loose cartridge cap. Rewind cartridge, reload and reprime. If you keep having errors, call Animas.

6. BittysMom

Thanks everybody. I redid everything and so far no more warnings. We're new enough to pumping that this stuff still freaks me out. :)

7. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

It can also happen with extreme changes in temp...When I put my sons pump in the cooler at the beach, his pump always looses it's prime...also when he goes to the hockey rink, or goes outside during the winter...it also lost it's prime the other day when it was really hot out and he was outside.

8. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

We had an occlusion error pump not primed message a few months ago. Was that what you had? Of course our pump error happened on a night DD was spending the night at my moms house. :eek: I could tell my mom was going to have a cow when she called to tell me something was up with the pump. Thankfully DD was super calm, she also kept grandma calm, and was able to walk through the necessary steps to reprime the pump. We've had only one other occlusion error since then, but I haven't called Animas since they were not back to back errors.

Hope that is the last error message you get for a while...it is so nerve racking to see any error message on the pump....especially when you're a newbie pumper.

9. BittysMom

There wasn't anything about an occlusion. So far no more messages. It's unnerving to think something is "off" with their medical devices!

10. MomTo4Girls

MomTo4Girls Approved members

We got that error within minutes of hooking up her pump for the first time today. Luckily the CDE was right there with us. We just disconnected, re-primed and reconnected. Haven't seen the error since :)

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We have had the pump not primed error when the tubing gets tugged hard and unseats the cartridge. We just unhook and then tighten the cap and prime out a few drops.

12. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Yeah -- we've had that too. If he takes it out of his pocket and it falls out of his hand, he usually manages to catch it by the tubing. That "yank" as the pump drops will cause the "pump not primed" message.

He just disconnects, rewinds/winds and then primes out a little insulin through the tubing, and he's good to go.

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I don't think there is anything off -- you want to be told if something gets out of wack. Pumps are not perfect -- they are only machines.

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Don't worry too much about it. Keep track of it if it happens multiple times so you can report it and get a replacement if needed, but generally as everyone says it's because something became a bit loose.

15. BittysMom

That "yanked on the cord" thing struck a cord with me. I seem to remember catching it that way recently at bath time...

I know it's just a machine, but like with airplanes, it's one I don't like to imagine failing in any way. Warnings are very useful though, yes.

Haven't had any more issues, reloading/ tightening seems to have done it.