- advertisement -

Ping or Omnipod????

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by eli's mom, Aug 22, 2011.

1. eli's mom

eli's mom New Member

New to this site. Have a 3 year old boy dx 3/10, starting to think of pumping. We are looking at the Ping or Omnipod. Any suggestions would be great. We trialed both and he did well with them, I think he preferred the Ping. Somedays it was his camera, others his phone. We like the tubingless one but are worried it will be too big for him, he is very small with no body fat. Thanks...

Eli's Mom

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

One thing I've heard about the pod is that on little ones, it sometimes has a hard time staying on since there isn't as much real estate to attach to.

3. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

We love our Ping, especially for the remote and the fact that it is waterproof. It has been very easy to use and I thought the tubing would be more of an issue than it actually is. Ask the sales reps for "demos" and you can try wearing them to see which is more comfortable.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we have minimed and the omnipod.. if I had to choose just one, I'd go tubed. Doesn't matter if its the MM or ping, both are so close and so similar, I just like the feature of the MM pump far better than the omnipod..For us, the ONLY benefit to the pod is its tubeless, for everything else I'll take the MM pump.

5. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

After our hurdles with the omnipod at the beginning of the year, I am fully convinced that we made the right decision for us. We trialed MM but truely loved analyzing #'s laying in bed with the PDM, and bolusing DS without having to bug him at night. We do live on a lake so being able to jump in multiple times a day w/out having to bolus a basal, unhook, check BG, hook up, etc... would be extremely daunting for us. I did just get back from DM1 camp, and after pushing all the buttons and playing with all 3 pumps all week I found the Ping to be the most cumbersome. But that's my 2 cents for what it's worth. You really can't make a wrong decision so just go with your gut. All 3 are wonderful pumps... we just LOVE our omnipod!

6. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

We love the PING:D Good luck with choosing a pump.:)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  7. pumpingat18months

pumpingat18months New Member

ping ping ping ping ping!

We LOVE our OneTouch Ping! If our 18 month old can't ruin this thing, you will have no troubles! We ordered a rubber skin for the pump and remote/meter. Plus, it's water proof in up to 14ft of water for up to 24 hours! Would I test it??? no....but that's what they say! LOL

It's very user friendly, wireless option is great (especially with kids) and it doesn't let you 'mess up'.

8. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

My son is 3 and on the Ping, we love it. I can't really compare to anything else as the Ping is the only pump we used. We tried the demo pod and it fell off after 12 hours. This was the demo pod the rep put on my son to show us the trick to make it stick. I love the remote to the ping, but also really like that everything can be done by the pump as well. Found out just how handy when DD took the remote to test her sick teddy and it was lost for a day. My son is super active and the tubing has not been a problem.

All that said though, you will pick the right pump for your son and situation. Good luck!

9. zatff

zatff Approved members

One thing you might want to consider is trying out the tech support for each product. Call the toll free numbers and select tech help with pump and see how long it is before you can actually talk with some one. Ask them what the main problems people experience with their product and what areas seem relatively free of problems. They know more about the products than the sales reps with their canned speeches.

10. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

We have used the Ping and I'm grateful for it, but I've become convinced that the basal delivery doesn't work for us, for one reason or another. I don't know if that would be pump-specific or if all would be the same and it's just us.

I do know that I've recently called around to customer support for Minimed, Animas, and Omnipod asking for info to see if we could switch or troubleshoot and I found the Omnipod people easy to get through to and easy to talk to. Also, they sounded happy. It is rare these days that I talk to customer support anywhere where the people sounded happy! But, could have been a fluke.

I would talk to insurance about it, too. We have the Ping, and it looks like we could now switch to the Omnipod for less than $200 out of pocket. But if insurance had covered the Omni, I don't know if the opposite would be true at all. So that's a factor, maybe.

Good luck with your decision.

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm not trying to steer you away from the OmniPod but it's not small. I have no idea how it compares to tubed sites though but it does require some real estate.

12. selketine

selketine Approved members

If he preferred the Ping I guess I might give some weight as to how much he preferred it over the Omnipod (if he hated the Pod, etc).

My son started pumping when he was 2 yrs old and we started with Animas - and we have the Ping now. He also wears a cgms device - usually on his arm - and I can imagine that if you ever want both a cgms and pump that - at least for my kid - it would be really difficult to rotate those sites. I'm not sure where else your child could wear the Pod (or cgms).

He has his pump site on the top of his hip or stomach and his cgms on the back of the arm.

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

For a three year old, I'd lean toward the Ping. The basal/bolus capabilities are smaller, which can make a big difference in a little guy.