- advertisement -

picture--hope it works

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by sam1nat2, Nov 18, 2010.

1. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

2. sam1nat2

OK, got it to work:D

Little background---Sam has been playing flag football since Kindy. He was asked to be on this particular tackle football team this year. Sam and his 3 buddies came to this established team where many parents told us that he would soon "get the hang of it"
    It was truly meant for us to be on this team!! Turns out that the head coach (who doesn't have a kid on the team) is VERY involved in D research--has many friends with type 1 who are athletes and he wants a cure for all of them:D
    They asked dh to be an assistant coach too (that's dh in the pic)

Well---the team did awesome despite Sam and his 3 buddies never having played tackle:p Sam and his buddies were soon starters on the team and helped this team have a 8-1 record. We had 1 loss to a team which went undefeated in regular season. Guess who we played in the champoinship???

We won the championship game and Sam had the very best game of his life. He worked his little tail off and ended up starting at QB and linebacker. He played the entire game minus one play after he got a finger stuck in some kids face mask:cool: Of the 3 touch downs scored, Sam ran in 2.

I don't like to brag about my child's accomplishments and those on FB know that I haven't posted these details of the game. I just want to share this for others who are recently dx'd that D certainly did not slow him down one bit!!!

As for managing BG during the big game, dh obviously gave him a little bolus pre game. One time dh ran onto the field with the water bottles and stuck some candy in him as there was no time to check BG during the game.:cool:

It sure hasn't always been easy---there was one game where he came off the field crying he was low, he was dropping super fast since we gave a full soda and he ended the game at 130:eek:

I'm proud of my boy for all that he has accomplished, despite the extra challenges of D.

After the game, this coach was crying--so happy to have won this championship---first time winning in his 16 years of coaching!!

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

That is great! Good pic too.:cwds:

Very interesting abut his coach taking a interest in diabetes! That is great. :cwds:

4. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

Thanks for sharing this beautiful story, I'm so happy for your family and glad the photo worked out good.

5. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

6. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

What a great photo - and wonderful news (and Dad looks so adoring). You have a very sparky kid there.:D

7. MyBoys'Mom

MyBoys'Mom Approved members

Nice job!!!!

8. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Wonderful wonderful wonderful!!! Our kids can do ANYTHING!!! Thanks so much for sharing your story!!! Very cool!!:D

Congrats on the victory!

9. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

Awesome on all counts!

10. sam1nat2

I thought this was pretty cool too---
    A friend of mine took this picture, she said that when she was taking it she thought---INSPIRATION!!

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You should be very proud of him. Your son may be interested in watching this video that I made of Jay Cutler, currently quarterback for the Chicago Bears (7-3 after crushing the Dolphins last night, yes!). It shows him checking his bg on the sidelines during a game when he was with Denver. The commentator, John Madden, had some positive things to say about diabetes and about Jay.

http://www.youtube.com/user/headcandy23#p/u/3/QHEZJUbeBqY

Normally, they don't really mention Jay's diabetes during games but last night they actually mentioned it at the beginning of the game and also during the game. I haven't had a chance to edit a clip yet but I will do it soon.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  12. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

What a wonderful picture..and a wonderful post!