- advertisement -

Photos / School photos

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by TheTestingMom, Jan 4, 2013.

1. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

Am I the only one who finds it strange that all 3 of my husbands siblings don't give us school photos of their children? Yet year after year I happily send them a wallet size school photo of our son, usually at Christmas, usually in a small frame. One year a refrigerator frame/magnet. If they'd send one to us I'd love to hang it on my refrigerator. If we get lucky and get a photo Christmas card I stick on the refrigerator.

Is it something people don't do anymore?

What do you do?

2. skimom

skimom Approved members

Why don't you tell them that you would really love to get a picture of their kids.Lots of people don't order school pics anymore so if that is the case here,maybe arrange for a picture of the cousins to be taken the next time everyone gets together...

3. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

my family has never done this... some times we'd order them for the g-parents but I don't know that they ever got there... I still have some of mine in my desk=/ I think face book has replaced this need with access to lots of photos of anyone you're friends with... kinda creepy

4. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I've never given family copies of my kids school photos. We don't get individual ones anyway, and if we did I couldn't afford it. I've often gotten photos of the kids at other times and framed them for various family members though.

5. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

You know, I never thought about it. We don't get pictures of our nieces, either. We send them pictures of our kids, though.

6. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

Interesting. I thought is was something that everyone did. Guess it's not so strange. :)

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

My parents and my grandmother get pictures, and usually only when they ask because I forget. I have so many extra pictures lying around from previous years, so now I get one of the cheapest packages. Are they unapproachable? Can't you just ask?

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

I usually just buy one picture. They are so expensive that I don't purchase any of the "packages" anymore. Maybe that's why they don't send any???

9. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Would you buy this?
    [​IMG]
    (it's underexposed, flat lighting, the color is off, and the vignetting - ew!)

Or this?
    [​IMG]

I mean, honestly, which shows more personality?

I've never bought school pictures but two years ago they sent home the CD with my daughter when she was in Kindergarten.. they were terrible. I had done studio shots around the same time of all of my kids for our Christmas cards... and those are the portraits people received.

Now, I realize not everyone is a photographer, but still... I would never in a million years send out that top shot as a "gift"... all of my kids' pictures at school have been that bad (or worse)... they herd the kids in and out like cattle and they have less than 30 seconds to get the shot they get.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Usually just the grandparents and god parents get the pics. This year due to a processing error we got doubles of everything (which I refused to pay for the shipping back on so they relented and gave it to me), so everyone got one.

Generally, because of cost we don't send everyone (hubby has 5 siblings and I have 1) pics. I will scan and email for them to see...but only if it's a good pic:D Also, pictures arrive a bit before Christmas and I do a photo card of the kids for that.

11. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

We don't either, once the older kids got into middle/high school the pkgs didn't match up with the younger child. And the cost to get the pictures to all family would have been well over $100. Not worth it!

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

LOL, school photos seem so prehistoric.:rolleyes::p I was looking through some old family pics and found my mother's school picts from the mid-1930's (I kid you not) and they, aside from being b&w, looked just like the above school pic.

We get the cheapest pack but more as a goofy record of her fashion choice - I just stick them in a drawer - someday they will be funny but we don't share them, there are just too many better photos of her that I can email family at the push of a button.

13. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I also get the school photos. My mom put all of mine in an album in order. My kids love to go back and compare and see how I changed each year. I agree they are goofy at times but plan to do the same thing for my kids.

14. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

School photos are taken to use for identification purposes in a child's records. We a school gets two kids with the same name it can save a lot headaches. They are not to be cute. Every child needs a photo for I'd purposes no matter how much we hate them they are the best in emergency searches and for identifying there files from someone else. After all or driver licenses are not personality photos, they are identification photos. School just offer them to parents to offset the cost for photographer to come out. Besides those boring photos really let you see how they change a Kringle nose photo is cut but you would not see facial changes as they grow.

15. Lee

Lee Approved members

I am really sorry, but can you edit your post? I can't understand what you are even trying to say...something about ID's maybe? We didn't start issuing ID's until a few years ago, and my kids have been taking school pictures for 11 years.

16. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

I post my photos on Facebook...Store photos on a cd instead of an album, digital frames, and get prints order through the Internet photo companies.

Okay sometimes...I will print and put a REAL photo on the wall.