- advertisement -

Phones

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Tricia22, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

I have had a number of comments lately that I am hard to hear and understand when I am talking to someone on my cell phone. I'm thinking it may be time to upgrade to a better phone. So... what kinds do you guys have, brands, models, what's the good, bad, and ugly about them? I refuse to get LG since I have had really bad experiences with LG phones. I have Verizon currently, not sure if I want to switch carriers since I seem to get pretty good reception everywhere I go with Verizon... the sound issue is with my actual phone, not reception stuff...
    Thanks in advance for any help!

2. mocha

mocha Approved members

It really depends what you're looking for in with your phone.

As far as smartphones go, my husband and I both have Android phones and love them. The thing that's nice about it is there are a lot of apps that are free (like log books and games) and you can choose the phone that works for you, since Android just refers to the OS.

The plans get pricey really fast, though. Virgin Mobil has a plan for $25 / month of unlimited data and texting and 300 min (I think) with no contract. They have decent coverage.

As far as not-smart phones...I've been out of that game for a while, so I don't really know what's out there without looking. :rolleyes:

3. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

I was using the Iphone 3GS but now I have the new HTC INSPIRE, running Android with AT&T, and it works great for me, even better than the iphone. Like the pp said before, you have a ton of apps to play with and a lot of them are free.

4. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Voice quality? Some of the HTC handsets have dual microphones to do noise-cancel, so they sound excellent. Ask for one that has them, if you're concerned.

As for applications, if you go smartphone, there's only 3 options. Blackberry, iPhone, or any Android phone. The android phones in particular have a zillion different formfactors, so pick what you like.

5. timsma

timsma Approved members

How old is your phone? Is it under warranty, or do you have insurance on it? If so, talk to Verizon. They may just let you pick out a different phone for free (if it's similar quality) or for a small price. I have an android and love it.

6. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

It's from Best Buy, Verizon through them... The phone is... 14 or 15 months old, no insurance, but we are I believe eligible for a discounted upgrade since it's over a year old... I am also about to be starting out on my own (job searching for a full time, benefits RN job ifanyone has an "in") so we're trying to figure out how we're going to re-arrange plan stuff and paying since my parents have always paid for my plan, just not my phone up until now, and now it will likely be up to me,so debating if I should stay on parents plan and pay them, just stick with Veriozon and get my own plan, etc. There aren't many if any new graduate nurse jobs in my area, so I will likely be moving at least an hour away and will not have a landline, so we have some things to think about...

7. Denise

Denise Approved members

I love love love love looooooooove my Droid2. I spoke w/ a rep at Verizon and asked him what he thought of the new Iphone for Verizon. His reply was he had no plans to switch from his Droid to the Iphone. :cwds:

8. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

If your parents are willing to keep you on their plan, it will probably be cheaper for you to just pay them. I'm still on my FIL's plan (and now Campbell is too), and I just send him a check for our additional lines.

I've got an iPhone 4 (AT&T) and love it. I've heard really good things about the HTC & Samsung droids too, though.

9. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

I have the Samsung Epic 4G with Sprint. It's a really cool phone. It's an Android phone, does everything, big screen, sliding keyboard.

With Sprint you can pay $69.99 a month for unlimited data, email, texts, calls. I think that's the best deal out there. We have three lines, so I have a different plan and, obviously, pay more. Reception is great, only had a few dropped calls.

Good luck in your search! New electronics are always exciting! :)

10. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

We have only cel phones, no land line. We have a family plan thru Sprint, we split it with me, my husband and my son and another guy and his, he works with DH , we have the unlimited every thing plan for all of us, so we pay less per month each then we would on an individual plan. I have an HTC hero and hope to upgrade soon, I really like my android phone, my son has one too.

I liked Verizon's coverage, but it costs almost as much for just my husband and I with them as we pay for 5 phones on Sprint.

11. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

We are the same, no land line and everyone has their own cell phone unlimited calls and texts but thru Metropcs. That way I can avoid a service contract. The unlimited thingie has saved me a ton of stress when the kids were teenagers and were on the phone all the time. It works best for me because no one wonders, gee what number should I call when they want to get ahold of me - I only have one number.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011