- advertisement -

Philmont - The trek is about to begin

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mathcat, Jun 26, 2015.

1. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

No questions - just celebrating a success.

My son is 14, dx at 3 1/2. Tomorrow afternoon he will embark on about a 60 mile hike in the backcountry of Philmont (New Mexico) over a period of just under two weeks. His Boy Scout crew arrived yesterday, a day early. Today they turned in all paperwork, including medical forms. Everyone on the crew is medically approved to begin. Tomorrow they begin their trek. His crew includes his dad, an EMT, and a firefighter. Plus, I do believe that he personally has prepared in such a way that he would be successful even if this level of back up did not exist. I was nervous up to this point but by now I feel confident that he is ready.

Many years ago this was almost impossible to imagine. Now, it has just been a matter of figuring things out so that nothing holds him back!

2. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

amazing! So wonderful to hear! And as a mom of a currently little one -hard to believe! But gives me hope she can do all the awesome things she wants to!! Congrats!

3. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Amazing! Love hearing stories like this!! All the best to him!!!

4. mwstock

mwstock Approved members

I think it is great that you share this with others! It is important for other parents to know that the type 1 does not limit what activity our children do or the food that our children eat. It may take a lot of work to compensate for the activity or food, but it does not stop us!!! The insulin pump makes a huge different too. The temp basal feature can be used to slow down insulin delivery during times of activity. My son does a lot of biking and swimming. When he is riding bikes in our neighborhood, we do not always remember to set a temp basal. A favorite past time for us has been riding bikes on the river trail for miles. The one loop we do is like eight miles. I joke and say my son gets 1 glucose tablet per a mile and a half (kind of like gas mileage for a car)! It can be challenging to offset the drop in blood glucose when doing strenuous activity, but it does not stop us from being active! I hope your son has a wonderful time!

5. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Please convey my admiration and thanks to your son for being a T1D hero!