- advertisement -

pet's names

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Mimi, Jan 14, 2011.

1. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Oh yeah...the fish.

Three bettas: McSwimmy, 007 (replacement for the late George), and McHottie. I may have a Grey's Anatomy obsession.

2. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I love reading all these stories of how animals got their names!

Lets see.....

Current Dogs:

Aspen....she was named after Aspen, Colorado
    Riley....Just a classic Collie name, he was called Riley by his breeder, and it just 'fit' him
    Dawson....after Jack Dawson from Titanic LOL
    Angel....she had a white marking on her hind end that looked like 'Angel' wings...we named her wrongly...she is not much of an Angel dog:p

Past dogs:

Cali....our first family dog, named after California as we got her after we moved to CO. This was nearly 15, 16 years ago now.
    Peaches....as a young puppy she looked like a 'Peach'.
    Lucky....I got her when I was 7 years old, she was "my" first dog. I called her Lucky because "I was lucky to have her, and she was lucky to have me" (I remember saying that, too...7 year old thinking:rolleyes:)

Our horses:

Charlie....he came to us as Charlie, and we didn't have the heart to change it. He is such a Charlie too.

Vinnie...He came to me as Vinnie, but it stuck. He is that cool character, with a bit of a stinker side. His name totally fits. On days he is testing the waters, he is 'Vincent'. He hears that a lot LOL

Wendy....Came to us as Wendy, and a Wendy she is. Very dignified.

3. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

We named our big, tough ginger cat Claw (full name Captain Nathaniel J. Claw) from a computer game my brother and I loved at the time (he's 11 now)

My dog's name is Toby. I can't remember why we chose that name, I kind of wish we'd chosen something more interesting. I've got about 400 nicknames for him though :p

Our previous dog was called Bailey after the drink.

4. Jace's Mommy

Jace's Mommy Approved members

My husband brought home a dog ( a large 150lbs dog) two days after we got out of then hospital when Jace was dx.
    He wanted to name it Ketone !

5. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Holly the chihuahua---she came with that name. I think she was 2 when we got her.

Trixie the rat terrier---my mom used to read these books when she was a kid about a girl named Trixie Belden. Sometimes we call our dog the whole name too. I bought those books after they rereleased 15 of them in hardback!

6. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

We have 2 cats...Peanut and Mr. Zach (she a girl) and two fish... Mrs. Dawn and Mr. Vito. My youngest son named them all (except peanut) after his karate instructors!

7. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

Our Cat, Radar...we named him for two reasons..1st, he has a very short thick tail and hes black, so his tail looks like the antenna from a walkie talkie and because he has alerted Deanna a few times when she was low..cool right? lol

Our Dog, Griffen, because we got him from the Humane society in our area. He was found on Griffin Road...so we thought it sounded like a good name, we just changed the spelling a tad bit.

8. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Our dog, a maltese, is named JD. We bought him at the JDRF gala in 2006 as an auction item...so he is JD for JDRF.

9. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

currently~

penelope-american eskimoe. I got her from a AE rescue, her name was really princess, but they had a princess so the re-named her. We got her, and for a week kept coming up with names but penelope still stuck. it really fits her.

blu-syberian husky-came with that name from a SH rescue. He has brown eyes, but a tiny blue spot on each eye.

I have a med haired white cat blue eyed cat named JACK, cuz of his feet, look like rabbit feet when he hung them over the couch, so Jack rabbit stuck. He has many nicknames, fur shark is the one that sticks the most, or shark, or I call him Fish... he comes to anything.

Kitkat- brown cat. all brown cats are kindof rare unless they are havanna brown, she is a barn cat. She is my daughters cat, so she is my grandkat. So I call her grammiesgirl alot.

HollyDolly-tabby barn cat I got last CHristmas. I wanted a Christmas name, and we fought over it, so holly it was...

Black bear hamster-twilight
    gerbil-gravel

I had an all black cat-skeeter. He was my baby. RIP Son (I called him Son)
    I had a huge black japanesse moore goldfish that turned orange named elvis

I used to have rats. They are the most wonderful pets EVER! my first rat was Killer. She was a dumbo ear rat, I sure do miss her. she used to take naps with me in the afternoon.

another rat I had, was fudge, he was huge. Well over 2 pounds of rat, and thats alot. One of my favorites was Emma, she was a hairless who was born without any eyes. She was one amazing rat. What you dont have, you dont miss, she never knew she couldnt see.

10. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

We have a Labradoodle named Ruby and Hedgehog named Phyllis....

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I read recently that pets' names are one of the security questions often asked by online banking and stuff like that, in case someone tries to steal your account.:eek::eek: So, change your security answer asap, just in case.

To answer your question:p, I have 2 dogs, Dana and Vera. Dana from The X-Files and Vera because it's a sweet-sounding name, and she is very very sweet, gluey even. Dana we got from a dog-pound, and although she's a PITA to walk on the leash, she's the calmest and gentlest dog ever, unless she's barking up a storm. Vera doesn't like the rain. Both are very gentle with the kids, often running upstairs to hide when the boys are being loud. They're upstairs often.:D

12. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

Right now we have a golden Retriever named Patton for George Patton .. but he is not very brave! A cat named Meeko (Disney movie) and two others named Lucky and Chance. My hubby went to his cousins who had kittens and I told him to NOT bring home any cats!! He did .. so I named the 1st one Lucky (Lucky to have been brought home) and the other Chance .. by chance he went back and got another ...

Crystal

13. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I had a dog named "stripper" She had a strip down her back but when her hair grew out you couldn't see the stripe. She stripped her stripe and the name stripper was born. It made it interesting when she got out and we had to go around the neighborhood calling her name lol;)

Stripper was a terrier mix.

We also had a Chihuahua. Her name was Ketchma. My mom heard it on TV. Apparently it means "little bit" In Lebanese I think :)

14. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

We had two labx puppies we got from the animal shelter years ago. We named them Buddy and Holly. :eek: Ex-Dh is a big fan!

15. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Too funny! We adopted a beagle from the pound years ago and she was Princess but I simply couldn't own a dog named Princess and changed it to Penelope. We called her Penelo-puppy a lot :)

Penelope's dog buddy was Olivia, another beagle. She was picked up and tagless so we named her.

We had Oscar, a shih-tzu, for 2 years and now have Libby, another shih-tzu. Definitely the right breed for us! Oscar we named and Libby was originally Abby but we renamed her because I knwo too many Abbies in real life.

16. Serenity's Mom

Serenity's Mom Approved members

2 dogs

We used to have Morgan (found on Morgan Cemetary Rd) and now we have Friday (who we got on a Friday). :)

17. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Black Shih-tsu named "Hank the Cowdog Head of Ranch Security" after the kids book series

18. kjmaf

kjmaf Approved members

We have a cat named Smitty Smat (as in Smitty Smat the Kitty Cat).

My husband and I joke that we were meant to be together because growing up he had a dog named Boudin (sausage) and I had a dog named Biscuit, so together we had sausage biscuit!

19. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

We have a dog named Toby too! We call him all sorts of nicknames as well.
    Toby Won Kanobi is our favorite!!! :D
    He is also known as Sir Barks A Lot!
    Killer is when he tries to run with the big neighborhood dogs! He is a party poodle! :p

20. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Awesome thread...just what I needed this morning :D

Dogs:
    Charlie - Golden Retriever (always wanted a Golden named Charlie)
    Trooper - Chocolate Lab (he broke his leg when he was little and was such a trooper about it)

Dwarf Bunnies (we found Mom and Dad and of course they proceeded to have babies):

Haensel (Dad) - also named Fluffykins for his fluffy fur
    Gretel (Mom) - also named Gretsie
    Uno- also named Bubi (no idea why LOL)
    Schoggi (Swiss German for chocolate) - also named Schogg-schogg
    Chnoepfli (Swiss German for little button)- also named Grumpy LOL