- advertisement -

pet peeve

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by joan, Jul 13, 2014.

1. joan

joan Approved members

My son went for his yearly eye exam The eye technician asked his medical history then began asking about his blood sugars. She obviously had no idea about diabetes when he told her a number and then she said, "is that good?". I hate that. People that have no idea about diabetes asking about your blood sugar levels and then making a judgement call or just asking for no reason when you go for a routine checkup of some type. Why do we allow this?? My son has had diabetes his entire life, he does not need a technician questioning him and then judging him on his response.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think it's great for them to learn, even younger than your son, that it's fine to say, " I manage things well" or some such to a tangential member of the medical team and to all others, " How much do you weigh?":wink:

3. joan

joan Approved members

Good Idea Sarah! Thanks…

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I don't see where they were judging? They simply asked if the number was good or not.

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

I think it's unreasonable for anyone to expect an optical assistant to understand the trials and tribulations of managing T1D. They ask, you tell and if they inquire you say "It is what it is and it's good."

6. joan

joan Approved members

Maybe they were not judging but I think my problem is with medical personal asking blood sugar values when they have no reason to ask. He went for a routine eye exam where it is necessary for the Dr. to know he has diabetes but it is not necessary for anyone to ask his blood sugar. If he had any eye complications I think the Dr. would have a right to question his control but otherwise its really not anyones business.

7. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

We usually reply something like, "our endocrinologist says we are doing a fine job." or "she has good control as far as teenagers go." They usually have no idea, that is why they are asking.

8. coni

coni Approved members

I'd lighten up. She was asking about medical history and perhaps curious about "good" BGs for a Type 1. Nothing indicates she was judging unless you take the word "good" to be inappropriate (and if so, how could she know?).

I had essentially the same thing happen at an appointment for my DD. I was glad they were aware of a medical condition that could potentially affect her eyesight, and in response to the BG question, I explained DD's diabetes was considered well managed by her Endo. I also briefly mentioned the recommended a1c for her age group. I thought it was a good opportunity to educate.

Sometimes I think we can be too sensitive.

9. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

I think that it would be a standard question as to how your control was when doing an eye exam on someone with Diabetes. Now, maybe they didn't ask how they should, but that happens. We took my daughter in and they asked how we were doing with control. I didn't find that strange at all.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I always just say, "His control is very good."

What does irk me is when I call to try to get Accu-Chek to send a new meter or to replace a poker. They always ask what his BG is. Seriously? I always say "104." I wonder if they think it is odd that it is the same every time I call.

11. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I find that sort of question annoying but I also see the point for it. I usually just say what my last A1C was when asked about my "control" and say that it is in a range that my endo is happy with.

12. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

If they have it down that it's always 104 they must just think you have great control :)

13. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

My grandmother does the exact same thing and does not really understand that there are different BG goals for diabetics and non-diabetics. She always seems to be around whenever I am testing myself, and my response is typically "Under these specific circumstances, my blood sugar is within my desired range."

I also have a huge pet peeve for medical history forms. They always have such a tiny box for diabetes (and always very little room for me to explain it), and it is always impossible for people to differentiate between type 1 and type 2. I try to be honest and put down "I am a TYPE 1 diabetic who is on an insulin pump. I have a family history of insulin resistance and TYPE 2 diabetes", and it's like doctors automatically ignore my type 1 statement as soon as I mention a family history of type 2.

And, for the millionth time, I did not get diabetes from being fat, lazy, or eating too much sugar. I swear I am going to smack someone in the head with my insulin pump if they ask that again. :evil:

14. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I see your point. Why bother asking a question if you don't know enough to use the answer? Alternatively, the tech could have prefaced her question about whether it was good with why she was asking that particular question.

15. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

In order to learn.

16. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

In taking one sentence out of context, I see that you've missed my point. Oh, well.

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Talking to tangential medical people about "control" is a waste of time. It's in our power not to do it. If someone who isn't directly involved in one's care asks, one can simply blow it off. End of story. End of grief. End of red herring posts … hopefully.

18. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

My one eye doctor used to ask, "What was your blood sugar today?" At my 4pm appointment. I'd be like, "Which one?" They didn't have the concept that I had tested 6 times by then.

19. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

20. Sarah Maddie's Mom

My daughter's Board Certified ophthalmologist, who happens to have type 1 himself, asks overall how things are going, "roughly" what her A1c is but has never asked to know her bg unless it becomes an issue (feeling high or low or CGM alarming and needing to test) during the actual exam. As for discussing her bg with a technician? I can't see why we would.