- advertisement -

People shock me

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by kyleesmom, Dec 21, 2009.

1. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

I was watching something I had Tivo'd that ended tonight and the last channel I had it on before watching my recording was Discovery Health, so thats what the tv went to. The program that is on is called Growing Up Tiny and is about a six year old girl with a rare type of primordial dwarfism who is about the size of a one year old, but weighs like 15 pounds. The mother had the little girl in New York City and had this huge crowd around her, people asking to take pictures, people not asking and just taking pictures. I cant imagine ever approaching a stranger and pretty much saying "Hey, your kid isnt normal, can I take a picture". The grandmother said people approach them and tell them how cute she is and ask how old she is and when they tell them, some will ask how long she will live. What goes through these peoples heads that makes them think that is ok?

2. buggle

buggle Approved members

When we first moved to England, Brendan was 3 with round blue eyes and blond curls. We were standing outside a building at Windsor Castle talking with a *guard* and a couple from another country came out and saw him and picked him up, without asking us, and moved several feet away to pose with him in a picture. Then, a group of businessmen tourists from the same country came out and grabbed him from the couple and started posing for pics with him. We had to wrestle our kid back. The guard was flabbergasted.

People are just jerks. Sometimes, they treat human beings like objects. I feel so sorry for people who really do look different and have to put up with stares and being spoken about like they're not there and touched, etc.

3. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

When Kylee was little my dad worked in Indonesia and we visited him there. Kylee had huge Shirley Temple curls, chubby cheeks and dimples and was WAY too friendly, and the people there had rarely seen anyone that looked like her. They would point at her, touch her, touch her hair, pick her up, give her things, all very not normal things for Americans. Actually, I shouldnt say that. We used to have people come up to us in stores all the time, usually little old ladies, that touched her hair and told us how cute she was. Kylee had a limit of about 2 hours in public, after that she would start to get really irritated. After she learned to talk, which she did really early, she would yell "Dont touch me" when she had had enough. I never though peoples reactions were normal then either.

4. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Yeah, I don't get people either. Last week, my back was acting up and my doctor told me to take it easy. ( Easy with my Mom and Sister is another story.) Anyway, I was using one of those electric carts in the grocery store and I had to stop at the bathroom. This guy instead of walking around me and the cart to go into the hallway with the bathroom which I was not even blocking proceded to climb over my head to get to the hallway. The guy's actions left me speechless. This lady looking through things on a display table just stood there with her mouth hanging open.