- advertisement -

peeing the bed

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MichS, May 21, 2009.

1. MichS

MichS Approved members

Hi all,
    My son, 6, is peeing the bed again. He did this before dx, and that was a sure sign for us that something was wrong. That improved immediatly once he was on insulin. Now, if he is high before bed (more than 250) we can almost guarantee he will pee the bed. We almost never let this happen anymore. But, we do make sure he is about 140 -200 for bed. He gets 5 units of lantus. (still honeymooning). We just increased the lantus, and I checked at midnight and 3 am for a week, and the numbers were just fine. Do you think the increase in lantus somehow triggered peeing the bed again? Or is this not d-related, and now he is having bladder troubles? Maybe the 140 -200 is too high, and that is what is making him pee the bed. Any insights? YUCK!

2. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

I know our CDE told us that anything over 160 will cause more frequent urination. Christian doesn't really pee more when he is high, I find that kind of weird. I would keep an eye on it and maybe take him, or call, the peds.

3. MichS

MichS Approved members

Ya - I'm afraid of that. What a balancing act! He isn't drinking near as much as he did before dx, but maybe it is time to limit drinks a little. I think he is a little to used to sleeping like that. He doesn't wake up! Gross. I know.

4. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

The Huggies Goodnights (http://www.goodnites.com/NA/Default.aspx ) are really great for kids who sleep soundly and don't wake up to urinate. It helps keep the bed dry. They may seem expensive but you save in laundry. Of course it's very important not to embarrass him about it, and to reassure him he'll be dry at night again in the future. There is a book Dry All Night by Mack (it's old) that has visualizations for children with primary nocturnal enuresis. There may be newer books. There ought to be a video.

5. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Have you checked him during the night? His BG could be rising high overnight, and then come down by morning, but by then it's too late.

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

And there is one. Disney's got a great one "Bed-Wetting: Jasper to the Rescue". My respite care center owned it so I watched it a dozen or so times when I was a kid.

7. lynn

lynn Approved members

Nathan will be six tomorrow and he wets most nights. I buy the Huggies Goodnights for him. I think diabetes probably contributes to his problem. I think there is more involved than just the number he sits at during the night though. I think that he little body just works harder than the rest of us. He sleeps very hard. I hesitate to limit his drinking because even slight dehydration can cause his blood sugar to rise. So, for now, we just don't make a big deal out of it. I know he will grow out of it someday.

I imagine it is harder for you since your son is older and has time not wetting at night.

8. Christopher's Mom

Christopher's Mom Approved members

Chris still has nights that he wets the bed. It is always when he has been high. He will wear (we call them astronauant pants :D) Goodnights if he had two nights in a row of wetting the bed.

We don't make a big deal about it - We know it is because of him being high. DH or I try to take him to the bathroom when we go to bed.

9. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Both our boys have not night trained yet -- they just sleep through it. They could wake up soaked and not know, we have to force them out of bed to change them and clean them up! So it's not a D thing!

10. MichS

MichS Approved members

My older son was 7 until he was dry through the night. So I guess I should back off. He won't wear good nights anymore, he sleeps naked:confused: haha, but I did buy the mattress pad today and took him pee before bed. We'll see how the weekend goes.

Thanks!

11. aidensmom23

aidensmom23 Approved members

Am I the only one that doesn't think the Goodnights work?? Anyway, Aiden is 5 and still wets the bed sometimes, especially if he is high. Our endo told us that it is normal in any child until age 7.

12. JenniferM

JenniferM Approved members

It is normal for boys to be bed wetters. This can happen until they are teenagers. There is a higher incidence of boys than girls. I forget what the percentages are but I do know it is over 50%. Our son still wets at night and he is nine. As long as it is not during the day, our pediatrician told us that he should grow out of it.

I hope this helps.
    Jennifer

13. KelliTwins

KelliTwins Approved members

We have this problem, too. If Greg is over 300 during the night, he pees. He has to wear diapers to bed because of this, and even then, he pees through the diapers. I wash his sheets at least 3 times a week. It can be very frustrating! We are working very hard to make sure that he goes to bed at a decent number so that it isn't an issue.

14. trisha

trisha Approved members

My son just turned 12 and still has an occasional accident. Spoke with the endo and he wants us to check BG #'s twice during the night to see if my son is dropping and rebounding.

My son too... just started with Lantus.

I am incline to believe JenniferM.

15. elained

elained Approved members

Robbie has the odd accident too. He never wet the bed before diabetes so it definitely has something to do with it. If he is high before bed we can be guarenteed a wet patch in bed next morning.

I have suggested that we get those dry night pants for the nights he is high going to bed but he is having none of it. I suppose I cant blame him though, he is nearly 10 and has a younger brother so he would probably be really embarrassed about wearing them.

16. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

If you have ruled out any bladder problems (infection and such) and BGs seem to be ok overnight, then I would say it's just a phase. Some kids are such hard sleepers they just don't notice they need to pee. Maybe have a talk with your ped so see what he/she suggests?

17. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

(without reading other replies)

I wholeheartedly agree with Ellen here. After years of struggling with Grace wetting the bed, I had to just let it go. She will not be wetting when she's 16, and if she is, then I'll KNOW it's a medical problem, not just the bladder not growing as fast as the rest of her. Bedwetting can be hereditary, my sister did it long enough that I can remember, so she must have been 8 or 9.

For now, we use pull ups when we can afford them, I wake her once a night when we don't use them, but otherwise we don't sweat it. She wets, "ok, let's wash up." She knows very well that it's not her fault.

At 6 years old, for a boy, wetting at night is not a major worry. As far as the BGs go, I definitely think it's a "YDMV" thing, Grace will wet regardless of her BG. The other night she was 494 at my bedtime (don't recall why, but I did know at the time), I corrected, she was good in the morning, and dry. I would have figured she'd have wet that night for sure! Then last night she was 110 at bed, had a little snack, was 114 this morning, but wet. :confused: Go figure!

BTW: please don't worry, I won't be waiting until she IS 16 before addressing a possible medical issue, LOL! More like 10, so we've got a good 18 months yet, and it's improving. She does well on a reward system-- when she keeps dry she gets a sticker on the calendar-- emphasizing the positive gives her motivation. After so many stickers she gets a special treat.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  18. MichS

MichS Approved members

Thanks all! All of these factors have just reinforced that I DON'T have to worry. I was worried that if he is wetting the bed again maybe we are doing something terribly wrong! On the weekends I test in the night usually once, sometimes twice, and usually never see anything strange. We've NEVER had a nghttime low (or even suspected because of rebound), so I don't think that is a factor. Remember, we are only 6 months in, and strong honeymoon.
    Thanks for your posts!

19. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

We're dealing with this too - Jake NEVER wet the bed before dx. He did it nearly every night for 3 weeks after I had surgery. We chalked it it up to stress, heredity, boy stuff - everything until I took him in and found he was D. We caught it early, based on the sole fact of bedwetting, and the last week daytime accidents.

He continued to wet for a month after D. Endo assured us it would resolve. At 5 months post dx he is still at least once a week.

I began to keep a log of his nighttime snack - and he helped me with it. If he doesn't have a ton of liquid (like 4 glasses of lemonade after sports) or a high sugar snack (like a fruit roll up) he seems to be okay, mostly dry. It's a theory we are working on - it may be a YDMV thing too. But we are finding what works for us.

He sleeps through it and has no idea until morning. We have a waterproof mattress pad - the absorbant kind as the plastic sheet made him sweat. He hates the Good nights so we tried the Underjams, which you can get a free sample of online. Our rule is after the 2nd wet night he wears one. That hasn't happened in a month or more. We do not punish or reward for it - just clean him up and move on. He has no control of it.

The nighttime testing we've done hasn't illuminated anything for us. CGMS is tabled for now, so we'll just see how it goes.