- advertisement -

Peeing in the bed every night!!!!! UGH!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by calebsmom1113, Jan 23, 2012.

1. calebsmom1113

calebsmom1113 Approved members

OK, so Caleb was dx'd at 7 and is 10 now. One of the symptoms at dx was peeing in the bed when he was high and now even if he's low he pees. I'm literally washing linens daily between him and my 5 yr old and it's ridiculous! Anybody else have this problem? Any ideas that work?What should I do?

2. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

Sounds like my life! My 7 year old Dx aug 2010, has been wetting the bed every night even when he is not high. He was a bed wetter bfore DX, but we thought we had him trained several months before he was diagnosed. Once he was diagnosed, he still did not wet the bed, but several months ago began to again. He is wetting so much that he wets through a nighttime pull up.

You may want to try getting him up during the night. And my pediatraican just told me that your body is supposed to have a hormone that is supposed to cease production of urine during the night and that a blood test could detcet if that is the prob.

I am sorry that I don't have many helpful suggestions, but I feel your pain!

3. calebsmom1113

calebsmom1113 Approved members

I'll ask my ped about the hormone test. The weird thing is he wasn't a bed-wetter until right before dx. He NEVER wet the bed since he was 3 or so. Now pull-ups don't work (and he's too big) but he'll wet through an adult depends.

4. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

We do but it primarily correlates to high BGs.

My son is 7 and all we try to do is limit drinks after 6 pm, make sure he pees before bedtime, and avoid highs (duh).

He wears a Good Night and we have a plastic covered bed pad below the sheets to protect the mattress.

5. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

My 8 year old son (Non D) still wets the bed quite frequently. He will go a week or so without wetting, but then he will be on a streak again of several nights!
    I've heard the hormone thing too. They say some children (especially boys) lack the hormone until later.
    It drives me nuts! I'm constantly doing the wash!

6. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I feel for you. We had the same issue until my daughter was around 10 or 11. Multiple times a night sometimes. How can one little body hold so much liquid? And she had a loft bed which wasn't easy to remake up in the middle of the night. But man those sheets were really clean.

She did finally just grow out of it - but it really really sucked for a lot of years.

7. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

I had these great sheets for my sons crib that I bet would be easy to make if you're handy. It was a fitted sheet with Velcro in the corners. Then a rectangle "sheet" with Velcro tabs in each corner. It came with 2 of the topper sheets, they are layered with a waterproof piece between 2 flannel pieces. It was really easy to switch them quickly, still laundry but an easy bed change.

8. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

We are going through this right now! My son has always had a night time problem. Right after diagnosis he stopped for a while and then a bout with elevated blood sugars brought everything back. He goes several times a night. I wake him 3 times a night and we have tried an alarm and he still wets. He can wet through 3 mattress pads and a good night sometimes. Right now with the waking him 3 times a night we have it contained to one good night and only occasionally it goes through to the pads. I have had several posts about this myself.

We limit beverages after dinner, make sure he uses the bathroom before he goes to bed, I test his BG frequently through out the night to make sure it isn't his BG causing the problem, I wake him 1.5 hours after he goes to bed at 10pm(because I found that was when he went the most) and then between 12:45am and 1am and then again at 3am. I make sure he has regular bowel movements because constipation can cause bed wetting too. We tried the Night Hawk alarm until I literally was not getting any sleep at all. Now I just get very little sleep and I don't seem to do quite as much laundry.

If you find something that works keep us posted!

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Sometimes bedwetting can be caused by allergies or mold in the environment. We didn't have bedwetting, but several new allergies presented with diabetes' arrival. It might be worth checking either or both.