- advertisement -

Pediatric Nephrologist

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by mishcoto, Apr 20, 2011.

1. mishcoto

mishcoto Approved members

Went to our annual check-up @ the Pediatric Nephrologist @ Childrens in Madison yesterday. Everything was good, but she said since Cole had protein in his urine before starting the very low dose of ace-inhibitors, they have no way of ever knowing if this is just nothing or if it could be something, and so, he will have to do bi-annual 24-hour split-urine & blood-tests FOREVER. So, great check-up, but just sad for my 16 year-old to hear it's just another unpleasant thing he'll have to do in his life because of this damn disease. I know we would all have the disease instead of our kids having it if we could. Just makes me feel so helpless.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I don't think nephrologists or endos are of one mind with protein in the urine. I don't remember your son's story with the protein in the urine, but my son has protein in his urine only when he stands up -- not at night. The endo thinks this has nothing to do with diabetes and we shouldn't be concerned.

The nephrologist has my son on an Ace inhibitor -- which works -- and testing periodically. We don't go and see him any longer.

When he gets older, I will have him go to an adult nephrologist to see if he thinks the medication has to continue.

3. mishcoto

mishcoto Approved members

Our son has the same as your son. So it appears normal. Our ped. nephrologist said there is no way to tell with type 1 kids whether it is a problem or not. Hence the bi-annual testing. I would rather err on the side of caution. I don't understand any doctor not being concerned with something that could possibly be a problem.