- advertisement -

Peanut-free low snacks

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lcblk27, Aug 28, 2016.

1. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

We have been using high protein granola bars as low snacks. They bring him up quickly and the protein keeps him up better than simple carbs. They are also easy to carry in his kit. The catch is that they have peanuts and our school is going totally peanut free.

Do you know any snacks we can carry that are convenient, have protein and carbs and are peanut free?

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Wow! An entire school going peanut-free.

And we still far too often have to go to extreme lengths to have accommodations for our children with diabetes followed... :frown:

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

This is a toughie. Some classrooms in our school our nut-free, and the health office is. Lunches can contain nuts. But low snacks are kept in the nurse's office. We send the crackers and cheese that come in a pack of 6, 4 carbs each. Check labels though as some brands are made on equipment that also processes nuts. One of the brands (Ritz I think?) is fine. Another good choice might be yogurt tubes - the greek ones are only 7g CHO and contain tons of protein. Good for stabilizing after treating with tabs, but need to be refrigerated (could possibly be kept in the classroom?). I have found that as long as my requests are reasonable our school is willing to do whatever we ask.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Some of the Clif bars are peanut free, you have to check the website though because some do have peanuts (http://www.clifbar.com/text/allergen-table). You could also look into the boxes of shelf stable milk type drinks, I think some of them might have higher amounts of protein.

On the subject of peanut free schools, I think it is pretty common in the Northeast. My sleepaway camp was peanut free (and kosher and we survived) and that was 10+ years ago.

5. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

Try having type 1 AND a peanut allergy. While I don't really want a peanut free school, I think anytime a school is willing to accommodate something, that is a step in the right direction for everyone with special needs.

We typically just use juice and glucose tabs, but I second the yogurt tubes if you need more protein. There are other granola type bars that are peanut free especially if you do not have to avoid the "May contain" products. Could you follow up a low treatment with cheese sticks or beef sticks?

6. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

Also, check out snacksafely.com for more ideas on peanut free foods.

7. kail

kail Approved members

We just returned to public school after a time in private and my DD with type 1 is starting first grade. I was crushed to find out that the school is going nut free this year. My DD also has celiac and between the type 1 needs, celiac requirements and just being 5, nuts end up a large part of her diet especially when we are out of the house. We treat with tabs for lows but use things like bars with nuts to help bolster her after that with a low and also for snack and lunch. I do understand the importance for children with severe nut allergy but it does make it hard. We did consider another private school before deciding on this school and that school was both kosher and nut free so that would have been even worse. I don't have any suggestions as I have not figured out what I am going to send as extra food snacks yet.

8. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

We haven't had success getting the school to bend on nut-free areas. But one summer camp this past summer did make an exception to its nut-free and kosher policies for our daughter's snack because they recognized how limited her options were with the T1-celiac dance. The camp director felt that, as long as the counselors knew about it, they could be sure to clean the snack area and have her wash her hands.

To the original poster: As far as packable, nut-free, protein items, how about crackers with Sunbutter tubes, hummus, or cheese? Or chocolate milk, if you can find the smaller boxes?

9. kail

kail Approved members

the principal did say that we may have a little bit of wiggle room due to our special dietary restrictions. They do still have a peanut free table for the kids with allergies as they know that there is always a risk of something being brought in. She thought we might be able to do something like a bar that had nuts in it. The difficulty is that my DD has someone in her class who has a severe nut allergy and they all cluster together when they eat their snacks. It seems a bit risky so I don't think its really an option. Its another challenge that we didn't really need. Sadly, she loves gluten free perfect bars and I just found that I could get a tiny 8g prewrapped bar which would have been super helpful for school snacks. She doesn't like cheese unless it is melted on something, no hummus or sunbutter either.

10. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

It sounds like you have a picky eater too! I feel your pain. My T1/celiac daughter has an incredibly narrow range of acceptable foods, especially among prepared foods, which makes packing lunch and snack even that much harder. For example, she used to eat packaged hummus, but now she'll only eat hummus at one restaurant.

My non-celiac boys are voracious, food-loving omnivores. I wish she had those tendencies! But I sometimes wonder if her pickiness and food aversions are a hangover from having lived for a time with un-diagnosed celiac.

11. Jejessica

Jejessica Approved members

I just saw NatureBox in my FB news feed. I haven't looked at it thoroughly, but the teaser video shows snacks with no peanuts. Not sure on the protein, but might be something to check out. They have a dot com.

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

apples, peaches, fruit yogurt, nut-free energy bars, crackers with cheese are all possibilities