- advertisement -

Paving the Way...We never signed up for paving duty!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KatieJane'smom, Sep 24, 2010.

1. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Our school has denied 504 eligibility for 3 1/2 years. We have done everything from educate, inform, beg, plead, threaten, & sue all to no avail.

FINALLY, today we had a very rocky, tense but semi-successful 504 meeting. It was the first official 504 meeting our district has ever had :eek: and, let me tell you, it was rough! They still don't get it but they did manage to muddle through it. They got more wrong than they got right but at least we will have some sort of plan in place which is more than we've ever had before.

It absolutely broke my heart to watch my daughter, with tears swimming in her eyes, look at the principal and say with confidence, "It really hurts me and I don't understand why you keep saying that there is 'no educational need' and that high & low bg's don't effect my 'learning'. It does interfere with my learning - every single day. Everytime I have to leave class, or miss school, or when I'm just sitting there in a fog because my bg is out of range & I'm not understanding anything the teacher says then it is affecting my learning" She just wanted the principal to understand but he simply was too stubborn and I ended up having to tell her that even though they weren't using the right wording that we (and ADA & the rest of the world) know they should use we were still making a bit of progress where no progress had ever been made.

The counselor took me aside afterwards and whispered "I'm fighting for you, I hope you know that. This will set the standard for the other kids who need this."

Also, this week, Katie Jane came home to tell me that a friend from the track team informed the school that she would be getting a service dog (not for diabetes) and that the school didn't bat an eye at that.

So, the money we spent on attornies and court fees to sue them in Federal Court in order to make them follow the law is paying off for someone else. That makes me.....well, very happy but also really, really, really tired of being the one who has had to pave the way for everyone else.

I never wanted to be a paver!

2. chammond

chammond Approved members

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with your school. I am already worried about the struggles we are going to have with ours once Logan starts, and reading how families have made a difference in schools is very encouraging for me.

3. KHM

KHM Approved members

I understand, I sure do. Some days I think of listing all the things I didn't sign up for and then I realize: that's all I'd ever do...just add things to the list constantly. I'm sorry for the struggle. I hope you take comfort in knowing that you are refusing to accept less than every bit of what your daughter needs and is entitled to.

I love what your daughter said to the principal. I hope some time soon it comes back to him and he understands how much courage and integrity Katie Jane has. He should be ashamed of his professional work and his character.

4. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Well thank you for all your hard work!!
    I can't even imagine how exhausting it must be, but way to fight for not only Katie Jane, but the rest of our kids too----THANK YOU!!!

5. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

We fought our school district when our oldest needed one for food allergies and won. Have faith that you can and will win. We've since moved out of that district and are now being accommodated without issues.

Have you presented sample 504 Plans the ADA has for download? Is your next step due process? I feel so bad for you because I know the stress is tremendous and so are your child's needs.

Hoping for a positive outcome!!

Helena.

6. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Reading about all your struggles makes me appreciate more how easy my 504 set up went. I wrote down want I wanted and they just basically ok'd everything.

I hope all your hard work pays off and your child gets what she needs. Can we pray for a new principal, that is more understanding/less stubborn?

7. KatieJane'smom

Oh my, YES! I've given them 504 plans and they refuse to even read them. I've given them the entire ADA packet, safe at school, the Texas state law requiring other trained diabetic personell besides the nurse, statements from Federal Bureau of Education stating she qualifies, actual lawsuits showing other schools that lost when they refused, etc, etc, etc. This has been going on for years.

Yes, please, and while you're at it pray for a new superintendent and a new 504 coordinator. Oh, and a new school nurse. That would take care of all our problems!

8. suz

suz Approved members

So sorry for all your troubles. What school district are you in? We're up in Denton County. We've had (have!) our own problems at school, but after reading your post am thankful that at least the school are receptive to Kieran's 504.

Good luck, and Thank You for being a paver for ALL our kids :)

9. Annapolis Mom

Annapolis Mom Approved members

I am so proud of your daughter for what she said. She is amazing.

10. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

No, none of us ever wanted to be pavers. Good for you for taking it on, and being so persistent. I'm so sorry to hear it's been such a struggle for you.

A girl at the school my dd used to go to was diagnosed recently, and her mom just recently thanked me for having come before and made it so much easier for them. Like you, a role I never wanted to take on, but at least I have the satisfaction of knowing that it made someone else's experience better. Hopefully you can take some comfort in that, as well.

11. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Thanks for all your work! It will make life so much easier for so many other parents and children.

12. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

Thanks for paving the way for others!!!! I'm so proud of Katie Jane for all that she has been through and still she holds her head up high! Way to go mom and Katie....I'll be saying prayers for ya'll:cwds:

13. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

with all the struggles...

With all the struggles that your family has clearly endured, I find it absolutely inspiring that Katie Jane had the strength and confidence to say what she said. I am hopeful that this is a sign that your struggles are sure to become less and less. I am also very sure that through these struggles, although no one ever wants to go through them, Katie Jane has become strong and she is destined for continued amazing accomplishments - she is an incredible girl!

You are the finest pavers I have ever known!

14. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

It's amazing how different districts in the same state can be so different. We are in Hays County and have not had a problem. Good luck. I'm sure it is very little comfort for you knowing that you are helping future students.

15. KatieJane'smom

Awww, shucks. Thank you for all the sweet and encouraging comments! I am extremely happy that the next family that comes along will not have to fight with the school every single day and that we were able to educate some of the administration/staff. It saddens me that so many of them still stubbornly choose to remain in a state of ignorance.

I'll shout it loud and....well, not very proud at all: We are in Denison ISD. They seem to often choose to ignore the law and do whatever the heck they want and usually not for the benefit of the students but for the benefit of the administration. They aren't all bad but we've experienced the really ugly side for far too long.

Denison is in Grayson County about an hour from Denton. I work (itinerant) or have worked in almost every school in the county and the rest of the ISD's are NOT this ignorant and do not blatanly thumb their nose at the law like this school district does. I think it comes from abuse of power by the super and assistant super and trickles on down. There are many inter-related relationships among the admin and staff so it's almost impossible to penetrate their forces. The head principal is married to the head counselor, the 504 coordinator is married to the......etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum.

However, they picked the wrong Mama to mess with and, I'm very proud to say, the wrong little D girl. She's not shy about advocating for herself.

Please be watching for a copy of our so-called 504 plan which really isn't one but I'm trying to make the best of it and please, please, please make suggestions. I appreciate all the support and help from you guys!

16. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Has Katie Jane ever heard of Rosa Parks? If not I want her to read about that incredible woman who refused to give up her seat and move to the back of the bus. Thats what your daughter is doing right now. She is refusing to give up her rights as an American citizen and she has the support of her family and everyone in here. Now the federal government needs to get involved in making sure your daughters school follows the laws of our constitution. They arent exempt from that and Im not sure why this principal thinks that he and the school is:confused: Im proud of Katie Jane for speaking up for herself and sickened by an administrator who obviously doesnt care about whats best for all the students at this school. I hope the media gets involved and he gets slammed for his behavior and fired!:mad:

17. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Wow! Congrats on the courage your family has shown in fighting the school system on this. We haven't had any problems In the two school districts we have had our son in in texas and I am sure it is because families like yours have already won those battles here! Kiddos to yor brave little girl!