- advertisement -

Patterns with Menstral cycle.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Artgirl, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Artgirl

Artgirl Approved members

For the females with Type 1, do you notice an increase or decrease or no change when on your period? Just wondering if there is a connection and changes in BG levels.

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter doesn't have a huge history, but she does have a pattern - she goes very low about two days before her period arrives through about 2 days after it starts. She will have to cut her basal about 50%. It's actually been pretty handy because she's only had 5 or 6 periods and she's not very regular, so the lows are a good tip off to make sure she's prepared with supplies when she leaves the house.

3. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I typically see a small rise in BG right before my period, normal insulin sensitivity during it, and then increased insulin sensitivity for a week afterwards. I've read that progesterone can be associated with insulin resistance right before menstruation. The levels of it gradually rise during the month, at its peak right before menstruation begins, and the sudden drop in it "tells" the uterus to shed.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I'm pretty high (even with extra insulin) the 3-4 days right before and then as soon as it starts I drop super low and don't spike with meals as I normally do. I also need about 20% less basal insulin during and I am more conservative with corrections and meal boluses and still see more frequent lows.

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

Sky high mid cycle, super crazy low 24 hours ahead, gradually return to more typical levels over next three days or so. Ali

6. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Same for my daughter. She's been having her period since June and tends to have stubborn lows the week prior to starting.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

In a newly dx'd teen in honeymoon, I really doubt that you will see any clear patterns just yet. It's good to know about but not really top your list of worries now.

8. Artgirl

Artgirl Approved members

She did started having these low's around the 2 days before her period and during the few days after it started so now I don't know if these lows are period related or honeymooning. We are decreasing her insulin and there is no change in her lows. We cut the dose by 50 percent and still no difference. I put a call into the educator line for advice, this is all so tricky. do you all think its honeymoon or hormones?

9. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Dd13 had erratic highs just before, highs during ending in a big drop and dramatic lows.

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

It's honeymoon. Keep cutting doses and basal as long as you're seeing lows.