- advertisement -

Pasta ????

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momofphoenix, Oct 19, 2007.

1. momofphoenix

momofphoenix Approved members

For those of you who make pasta and wiegh or measure foods, Do you wiegh the pasta before you cook it or after? I usually weigh it after it is cooked and see many low low numbers so I am wondering how everyone else does it....

Thanks in advance

2. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

If you are going to weight it, do it before hand, and cook Phoenix's separate. Then if it is about the same consistency as you normally aim for, weight it again to give you reference point. If not try again another day. I usually measure Julia's with a measuring cup after it is cooked and get pretty good results.

3. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

I use a "Weigh for Life" scale and weigh after cooking, it calculates everything, carbs, calories, etc. and some of the proceeds of the sale of the scale go to JDRF!!

4. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

I weigh with the salter scale after cooking. We get a multigrain as we like the consistency better and use the whole grain measurements in the scale and to date have not had any problems.

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

we weight after and for most pasta use .25 as a carb factor. If he has a big portion of pasta we HAVE to do a combo bolus - a little now and the rest later because otherwise he definately goes low first and then sky high later. You can do the same with shots too - just give about 70-80% upfront and the rest about 2-3hours later (or more)

6. momofphoenix

Thank you so much, I have a genaric scale from Walmart so it doesnt have anything "cool" to it :D I weighed it before cooking it so we will see how bs turn out tonight.....

Phoenix has been running low all day today so Hopefully I dont miss dose him for dinner

7. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

we have that generic scale too from walmart. We also weigh before cooking and cook his portion separately.

8. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

We use salter scale and wiegh after. I have also put in my recipes for chicken fett. and spaghetti so I do not have to mix those separatly. It has been really accurate for us.

9. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

Pasta is one I measure with the measuring cup. About 40g per cup after cooked. This seems to work for us. We use dreamfields pasta. The carbs are the same but it is 65% lower on the GI than the others. Ty has zero highs with it. It tastes great too by the way.

Tami

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

We weigh after, but we do not go by the weight on the box, since that is the before cooked weight. We go by the weight in CalorieKing...

11. wellsfamily

wellsfamily Approved members

We use a Salter scale for a lot of things, but use a measuring cup only for pasta. 1/2 cup we bolus 15 carbs. It's usually right on the money and we have great numbers afterwards. We buy the Barilla multigrain pasta, but I use the same carbs for regular pasta too.

12. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We use the label on the box for carbs per dry weight and weigh it before cooking. Then we literally count the pieces that are in that weight. Then, we count how many pieces she eats and figure out the carbs. We've been pretty on the mark with that method.

13. tuckerk

tuckerk Approved members

Pasta

We usually measure pasta after is cooked. Some of the pasta we purchase will have nutritional info for dry pasta and what it would equal to cooked.
    For example: 1/2 cup dry (1 cup cooked)----- then we calculate the CHO based on what we are going to serve.

Whole wheat pasta keeps us from spiking as opposed to regular pasta.

14. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I wish they would do that. I love the packages that give a DRY and a COOKED calculation. Most of the pasta we get DOESN'T and I sometimes forget to measure before we cook. Hubby has taken to measuring as soon as he opens a box and then writes it on the box in sharpie - he knows me too well!

15. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I have found that for us...It seems more accurate that with pasta, I use a measuring cup after it's cooked. 1/3 a cup is 15 grams, so 1 cup is 45 grams. Weighing always made him go low:confused:

16. momofphoenix

So we had our spagetti and at dinner he was 135 :p love the number he ate 65 grams of carbs and got 3 units novolog at 5:45 I left for about an hour and a half and he played with the kids next door while I was gone my hubby didnt think anything about checking him so I get home and check him 58 :eek: I give 30g since he has been crazy running around with the kids 20minutes later 50 :eek: so for the past 2 hours I have been feeding lows.... not sure if it was the pasta or the activity....

Thanks for listening I needed to vent about Phoenix's #'s and my hubby