- advertisement -

parents outside of Canada and US - any experience with the Freestyle Libre?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wilf, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Joa

Joa Approved members

Some interesting blog-posts by Pierre Vandenvenne about the FreeStyle Libre:

http://type1tennis.blogspot.de/search/label/Freestyle Libre

In comparison with the DexCom G4 (non AP) too.

The Libre CGM sensor is the further development of the Navigator device. Abbott calls that CGM technology (with NFC-communication) Flash Glucose Monitoring because you have to "flash" the numbers out of the transmitterparts memory by bringing the NFC chips of transmitter and reader close together.

So you can say that Abbott is rolling up the CGM-market-road from the low featured end. A clever move it is, catching the competitors actual still with their pants down. Let's wait for their answers.

Regards
    Joa

FS Navigator from 4/08 till sometimes now.
    Medtronic Enlite 2 (new) since 1/14 (actually in reserve)
    FS Libre since 1/15
    Trials with Medtronic SofSen, Medtronic Enlite and DexCom 7+

2. Guru_rb

Guru_rb Approved members

I am really curious to know how well does the sensor stick on the curvature of tiny arms of the kids (as it doesn't appear to be flexible). Can anyone who is using it for their kids be kind enough to post a pic?

And what about sensor life (on kids)? Is it 14 days, as advertised?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

The stick is amazing - you can't see any adhesive but we've had trouble getting them off. The accuracy for us was great - it got better every day.. it was real shame we couldn't restart at 14 days.
    1501152_10205156630543452_1200240412353237083_o.jpg

4. andiej

andiej Approved members

My son is 10, the sensor is small and pretty flat it would have to be an extremely thin child to have arms thinner than the sensor. We have no issues at all and all bar 1 sensor has lasted the full 14 days. We love it.

5. Guru_rb

Guru_rb Approved members

My daughter is 8.5 yrs old and quite thin. So a little apprehensive on how securely it will sit on her arms. However, seriously thinking of getting it through my friends from Europe.

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I'm pretty sure that they aren't available yet to new customers. 15th March or End of March seem to be dates that are hoped for.

7. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Abbott have opened new ordering today through email lists.. the earlier you registered, the earlier you are being offered a subscription. I think they said 100 at a time and you have a week to register.. or miss out.

8. payam7777777

payam7777777 Approved members

Um.. I read 121 pages on diabetes.co.uk forum about Libre meticulously.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/freestyle-libre-on-sale.65900/

as far as I can tell, the thing is not accurate. :-/

i still was inclined to it though because of the trend graph etc. BUT

users reporting Libre reading like 80mg/dl during night while the actual BG was like 30-40 was kinda the last straw. :-/

9. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Several studies have shown it more accurate than dexcom. You know that people only post about bad experiences.. :)

10. andiej

andiej Approved members

This hasn't been our experience we have found it to be very accurate, as with CGMS there is a time lag that is only an issue during times of fast changing bloods but the arrows show you how quickly levels are changing. We have found it most accurate at lower levels, at high levels it seem to read a bit higher, but then the tolerance of 20% on bg meters when levels are 12 make them also less accurate. My experience has been if you test with 2 different meters you can have wildly different readings. Also editing to say that Abbott have been very good to those that have experienced any issues and replaced any faulty sensors or those that have have not lasted 14 days.

11. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

12. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Wilf, wondering if you went ahead with one of these?

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

Not yet. There is a waiting list in Germany. Could happen this summer/fall though. I plan to be in Germany with DD and hope to get a chance to see one in action.

14. lisbit

lisbit New Member

I am interested in purchasing the FreeStyle Libre Flash system for monitoring my daughter's blood sugar. I am located in the United States, but will be in the UK in the near future.

I understand the Libre Flash does not require a prescription; however, is it available for sale in UK pharmacies much the way glucose meters are available in the US? Is there a way to purchase without preorder online or is that the only method?

Thank you for your assistance.

15. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

No you can't buy it in a pharmacy. You need to subscribe to the freestyle libre website and wait in line for an email giving you an invitation to order. I think the waiting list is about 4 months long at the moment.

16. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

Also you need an email address that is from the country you will make the purchase.

17. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I'm in New Zealand and order just with a gmail account..

18. payam7777777

payam7777777 Approved members

hey guys, and sorry for resurrecting old thread re. libre..

i was wondering perhaps we should reconsider libre. perhaps i have been a bit too conservative/picky/.. regarding accuracy.

i'd really love to have some more new info. from those who've been using it.. please..

19. kledi

kledi Approved members

We have been using it for 2 months now, we have been using enlite for a while,the accuracy its amazing in libre the only diference with the blood test its when the glucose its droping or raising fast ,, the acuracy its the same for 14 days .if libre would have alarms it would be great.

20. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

The is a Night scout setup for Libre now. I would try it but I am afraid I would love it but not afford it for both my girks. I have heard and seen many say the accuracy is as good as a meter. I know Germany has it with mg/dl