- advertisement -

parents outside of Canada and US - any experience with the Freestyle Libre?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wilf, Dec 29, 2014.

1. wilf

wilf Approved members

Seems like a very interesting product for at least some MDI folks to me. Not everyone can afford CGMs, or smart phones with apps, or CGMs..

2. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

I really don't get Abbott. Instead of improving their CGM they produce this. Now I Just heared that they stopped producing the Freestyle lite meter ..

3. Mish

Mish Approved members

Where did you hear that? It's still on their website. However, after the horrible results we were getting with the lite strips, they probably should just pull their whole line up. LOL

4. katerinas

I called to order a new one as the buttons have become a bit worn out, and they said that they have stopped producing it. For the lite strips they will have the Freestyle freedom that is 3 times the size with no light!! They sent me to try the precision Neo but we were not impressed. No light , bigger and strips are wrapped individually. So I am holding on to our old meters!

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

The Freestyle Insulinx uses Freestyle Lite strips and has a port light..

6. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

7. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

The pottles we use say for both freestyle lite and insulinx..
    insulinx.jpg

8. katerinas

The thing is that they will stop producing their Top product. Insulinx for me looks huge.

9. andiej

andiej Approved members

Hey sorry just saw this post.....why a libre? Well here in the UK if we want a CGM we have to pay for everything ourselves, over a 1K for a set up plus sensors that are only meant to be used for 7 days. The majority of folks can't afford it. So here we are with a son who sometimes forgets the inbetween finger pokes, when we go to bed at night it can take ages to get the blood out as he repeatedly wipes his fingers, basically imagine a world without CGM and just hit and miss finger poking. Suddenly we have tool that costs about £40 for the reader - the £140 start up costs include 2 sensors. The sensors at £50 last for 2 weeks that is doable but best of all if after a year it breaks we only need to pay £40 for a new reader. We download the data and we see a reading for every 15 mins day at night, we are scanning loads of times a day so we find that spike we might miss normally...we can now test basal without getting up to poke every 2 hours, and the sheer amount of data downloaded means you can see trends and see where to tweak...by the way we are down to 1 finger poke a day plus anytime he needs a correction (but only if fast changing bloods - we get the arrows you get on CGM) or he is low. It does everything apart from alarm. For us it's been world changing and the peace of mind it's given us is great. Our plan had been to try it and if we were feeling we needed the alarms we would invest in full CGM....2 months in and stable numbers overnight at this time...we would have had 1 alarm but he'd drifted up from that 3.8 within minutes himself...everytime you scan you get a line graph of the day so far. At this time i don't feel we need to pay the extra for CGM. To be abbott are amazing they have brought out an affordable alternative into a country where CGM is like gold dust...I think that's pretty savvy of them. I'm not sure if they plan to bring it to the US but if CGM is readily available on insurance then I guess they might not.....This product i dont' believe is aimed at tempting people away from CGM it's about giving those that don't have it better tools. So I totally get why you guys might not be buying into it...but maybe now you see why some of us in Europe are pretty excited. Also it's possible that it will be available on the NHS in the future which will make it free of charge. Also I'm thinking if Abbott's system is less than 10% of the cost of full CGM and it only lacks alarms....can't CGM companies continue to charge the prices that they do...surely we will now have to see the prices drop...and that i think is also exciting....who knows maybe an alarm will come next.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  10. wilf

wilf Approved members

Thank you for posting this. :)

Am currently exploring purchase via a friend overseas.. :cwds:

11. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

12. wm8

wm8 Approved members

So from real experience, is it a replacement for fingersticks or can be used to dose boluses/corrections?

13. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I wouldn't yet.... but I would guess Anna will... Some people are finding the occasional sensor very 'off'. Ours definitely reads lower at night but otherwise has been great. I think if you trust the sensor after 1-2 days then its trust-able for the 14 days.

14. katerinas

Have you seen the size of the transmitter? I loove how small it is! I am trying to get one but unfortunatelly I am at the wrong country in Europe..

15. andiej

andiej Approved members

Yes for us it has been a replacement for fingersticks. We now only prick in the following situations:-

1) Before bed so i can make sure a. the sensor is still accurate and b. to ensure insulin overnight is as accurate as possible.

2) Following hypo to ensure he's come back up

3) Any time we need to do something like correct or bolus if bloods are fast moving which the arrow indicates.

On average we are poking 1/2 times a day. We are also finding the readings accurate enough to input into the pump to bolus from.

On average i would say readings are within 0.5mmol of bg meter and we all know that you can get wilder variations than this from 2 consecutive fingerpokes.

16. payam7777777

payam7777777 Approved members

cool!

i wonder if it comes only in mmols or is it available in mg/dl as well!?

i mean i'td be easier for people outside europe to not have to convert..

[that is.. if we somehow manage to get our hands on it..]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  17. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Hey Payam ! Yes it is already available in both mg/dl and mmol/l... and I'm sure you'll get one sometime. Hope you are all well. :)

18. payam7777777

payam7777777 Approved members

Hey! :) how are You Jane?

. you mean the 'european' ones come with mg/dl ?
    . i got friends and relatives all over europe. where do you suggest me to get started?
    . would i have to like 'order' it to come with mg/dl?

ah.. this is crazy cool.

19. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I don't think any European countries are selling at the moment and they aren't available in all countries. You'd have to check where to buy Mg/dl ones... It was Jan 2015 when new customers could subscribe - now its First Quarter 2015.

20. katerinas

I just heared that there is a waiting list. A friend of mine has subscribed in the UK and another in Germany.