- advertisement -

Parents of T1 kids groups in Toronto?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by shannong, Nov 25, 2012.

1. shannong

shannong Approved members

Are there any groups for parents of Type 1 kids to meet and share ideas/support? I've checked with the jdrf and cda, but come up with nothing. My 6 year old son was diagnosed just a few months ago and would love the support of some kind of group. I think only other parents of Type 1 kids could really understand. Toronto is a major city, I'm surprised, does nothing exist like this? I thought the hospital social worker at Sick Kids might have something running, but nothing. At my hospital visits with my son, I feel like I can totally spot those other parents of newly diagnosed kids because they look as shocked and upset as I have been. But no support for the emotional needs of the parents or kids has ever been offered. Somehow this just feels so behind-the-times. What do they do in other major cities, I wonder.

2. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We're currently in CT, but we are hoping to move back to Toronto, or at least the GTA, in the fall. I can't speak to what resources are available in Toronto, but I know the Charles H. Best Centre in Durham (Whitby, I think) runs groups. If you are interested, I will be in TO over the Christmas break (if our work visa comes through to allow us to return to the US in the new year!). I have a 4-year-old boy, and we are just approaching the 2-year mark.

Good luck. I'm sure somebody can point you in the direction of a group. Toronto is, after all, a big city!

3. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I am not in TO (Oakville). JDRF has a mentoring program for newly diagnosed families. Your mentor may be able to give you more info on support groups in your area or how to start one. The Hamilton/Burlington chapter often has social events for the little ones (they just had one at an apple farm recently) that are a great way to meet other families. I would guess the Toronto chapters do, too. We went to every event, symposium, etc. that was offered by the pump companies and hospitals in the GTA. You can call me and I will share everything I know. I have felt extremely fortunate to live in area where so much is offered.

4. Yu235939

Yu235939 Approved members

Hi there,

So sorry to hear about your son. It can be a very lonely time.
    Unfortunately, I'm in Calgary & don't know about any support
    groups in Toronto. I'm really surprised that Sick Kids doesn't have
    a group to refer you to.
    Perhaps, if this may help, a new Canadian-based T1 diabetes for
    children was just launched in Calgary on World Diabetes Day. There is a lot
    of content there that you can access on a variety of issues - both the
    technical side & emotional. The website was created by two Calgary-area Moms of Type 1 sons & is phenomenal -- ESP for Canadian content.
    Please visit www.waltzingthedragon.ca

Wish u the best!

5. angelsmom

angelsmom New Member

Support in Toronto/York Region

Hi there. My angel was 9 when she was diagnosed and I think the idea of a support group for parents is a wonderful idea. We go to Markham-Stouffville hospital...and have met other families who helped us too. Unfortunately I cant see anything in York Region (we live in Richmond Hill). I am always there for my angel, but I know for sure I could use somewhere to offload even if its for a short time. Thats why I joined this forum - and we are set to go to the CWD in March in Toronto as well as I heard its a good place to meet others who are also affected in this way.

Since she was diagnosed I went into 'auto-pilot' and learned as much as I could to be the best I could be for her. The nurses continue to be amazed at my 'resilience'. But times when I am alone, listening to a seminar or conference speech, or even just researching T1 at the computer, I feel close to breaking into floods of tears. Yet I always hold back, swallow hard, and carry on. Since my angel was diagnosed 8 months ago, I havent shed a tear. I have 2 other angels as well, and my husband has RP Blindness, so quite a lot on my plate. Im determined to go back to school and re-train as a social worker. My only happiness is when I can give back to society and help someone and be that shoulder of support. Thx for "listening". Angel's Mom.

6. Samna

Samna Approved members

Hi:

I live in Toronto and my sweet little 8 year old girl was dxd in June 2012, its been 6 months and our lifes are completely changed. I would love to join a group of parents with Typ 1's.
    Shannong you can email me at samnamahmood@hotmail.com and we can meet sometime.

7. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

8. Samna

Samna Approved members

Hi Angelsmom:

I live in Toronto and a mom to an 8 year old girl who was diagnosed in June 2012.
    I am looking forward to registering for the FFL conference held in Toronto in March.
    Are you planning on making day trips to the conference or staying at the hotel?

We should meet sometime before the conference and let our girls meet too.

Take care
    Samna

9. runaroundsue

runaroundsue Approved members

I have experienced the same thing. JDRF did have somebody from their mentor program email me but they didn't live close by and weren't home during the day which is when I had time to talk to people. I fortunately met another mother at the school whose son was diagnosed when he was two, he is almost five. I speak to her on a daily basis. If she and I didn't meet, I'd have no one too. And to the first poster, my son was dx'd at Sick Kids in Oct/13 too. They didn't mention say anything about support groups but we have an amazing team who have been there for us. JDRF does hold support group meetings every so often but they do conflict with our schedule. The location is usually out of the way where I live and on a school night.