- advertisement -

Parents of Children diagnosed at the age of 10 and under

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Maggs11189, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Maggs11189

Maggs11189 New Member

Hi, I am a 20 year old college student with type 1 diabetes. I am writing a paper on the the psychological effects of having a child under 10 diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I would really appreciate it if you could please take a few minutes to answer my questions. Thank you so much!

1. How old was your son/daughter when he/she was diagnosed?

2. Immediately after diagnosis what was your reaction?

3. When arriving home from the hospital how did you and your child handle the diagnosis?

4. As your child grows older what are your primary concerns?

5. Who in the family primarly takes care of your childs diabetes when he/she was young?

6.How has your own personal life change because of the diagnosis?

Thanks in advance!

2. chammond

chammond Approved members

Hope my answers aren't too long, and help. Good luck with your survey!

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

He was 3.

Primarily disbelief. It was truly almost an out-of-body experience. I functioned "normally," but it was almost like I was reading a script or something. I could not believe that this was happening to us.

3. When arriving home from the hospital how did you and your child handle the diagnosis?

Well, the feeling of disbelief continued for quite a while. It was intermixed with terror that I would do something wrong and kill him, or that I would do everything right and he would die anyway. So probably disbelief mixed with complete abject fear. I also felt like I had failed Jack. It was the first time that I hadn't been able to "fix" whatever was wrong for him. To hear him say, "Mama, please don't hurt me!" as I came at him with a syringe was literally torture.

My son cried for every finger poke and shot for months. He had gone from a world where he had really never known pain in his life, except for a few scraped knees to a world where he was getting 4 shots and 10 finger pokes a day. He was surprisingly normal between pokes, but he adjusted very slowly to them.

Primarily how he will deal with this when he's more independent. I can stay up nights bringing a low up or a high down, and I can do the complicated calculations to keep him safe during swimming or soccer. But will he do all the work that I do? Will he be as careful with his care as I am? The answer is almost certainly no.

5. Who in the family primarly takes care of your childs diabetes when he/she was young?

Mostly me (his mom). My husband is well-trained, however, and helps me out a lot. I'm also lucky in that my parents live in town, and are completely able to care for him and even do site and sensor changes if need be. Most parents are not nearly as lucky to have the help that I have.

Diagnosis was life-changing for me in many subtle ways. I take less for granted. Once lightening strikes your child, you become much more aware of the fragility of life. You also gain a new appreciation for what parents of kids with disabilities go through.

Best of luck to you with your paper.

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

I hope this helps!

5. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

5 years, 3 months

Shock, though I had a suspicion given her symptoms.

DD handled it much better than I. She adapted to blood checks and injections relatively quickly. I was very anxious, made food a huge issue because I was sending her off to school with no nurse, and was frequenty paralyzed by basic carb-counting, even though I knew, intellectually, that we were rounding her doses to the nearest half unit.

Minimizing the risk of long-term complications; not having her "defined' by her diagnosis.

Me (mom).

I have greater levels of anxiety, although they have lessened in the 4+ months since diagnosis.

6. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

20 months

doom, my aunt died of type 1 and I thought it was going to be the same for my son

we had charts and schedules to keep on top of things. my son got lots of toys from friends and family sent to him to cheer him up. he took it pretty well and didn't fight things too bad.

complications, rebellion

mother (me)

hard to sum up with words, but we don't take life for granted anymore. we probably do more activities than before, we want to make good memories.

7. Carseatmama

Carseatmama Approved members

I have two children with T1. My first was diagnosed Dec 3rd 2008. She was 6 years old. My middle child was diagnosed 1 year and 1 month apart from my youngest. She is ten years old.

I was devasted:( I tried to find out why this happened to my baby. I nursed her until she was 2 1/2, so she was supose to be the healthiest out of my three girls, so I thought. Right after she was dx I ordered all of her medical records from birh and I studied them over and over for weeks. I was looking for someone or something to blame. I couldn't stop crying. When my second child (Allison) was dx we were actually expecting it because she had tested positive for all three autoantibodies that cause D. She also failed her first OGTT passed the second but failed the third. I am still in denial of her dx. I just don't want to believe it. Right now she is in the early stages so she only gets one shot a day for now. Allison started giving herself shots right away, she is the daredevil in the family.

When we returned home things were of course, confusing, crazy and unorganized. After all we were givin a lifetime of education in about 4 hours. Here's what you do, now take your child home and struggle every day to keep her alive. Go back to life as normal...yeah right! Kadie Bug took things pretty well, by the time her 3rd or 4th shot came around she was already ok with it. She is the bravest little girl I know. Every time I looked at her I cried. I also started drinking ALOT !!:eek: That didn't help anything. Kadie started giving herself shots two months after dx. Allison is still trying to get used to things in her life changing. She is a very active, hyper child so she has more lows then anything.

What I'm afraid of most is when my girls hit the teen years. When they start to rebel and hate the fact that they are different. I don't want them to skip shots and not want to check their BS. I guess we will deal with it if and when it happens. I'm also scared that they will not have insurance to cover all the costs for this disease. Or be denied jobs, I've heard of licenses being revoked because of D. I'm worried that they won't take care of themselves.

Their dad and I are divorced but we take equal care of the girls. We both go to all the doctor appointments.

It's a little harder to just get up and go do things. You need to be prepared for anything. There is a lot of things you need to bring with you when you go anywhere. We are very involved in the JDRF activities. I like my girls to be around other kids with D. It helps them not to feel so alone. And I don't let D get in the way of anything fun we want to do. Swimming, hiking, boating, camping, ect.

I hope this helps...Thanks

Laurie

8. sbsmith1804

sbsmith1804 Approved members

You're welcome!!

9. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Do you have approval to use this forum for a study?

If not, please refer to the FAQ Members wanting to post a link to a research study need to use our Feedback Form to request approval.

10. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

A one was 9
    B was 7

A Lot of fear and assumptions based on little knowledge
    B Oh S*ht not again

A It was tough but he was a trooper
    B DX on the first day of a Disney vacation. Disney is cool and hospitals aren't so we treated her via phone with our endo team. She thought it was cool at frist to be in the D club bout that got old fast.

For both my primary concern is that they pursue their hopes and dreams. That that is the driving force in their lives and that diabetes care is secondary but done.

The family is the primary care giver.

That is an essay question but conveniently I have a multi part essay for just such an emergency: http://www.ydmv.net/2009/11/ark-series-index.html

11. Maggs11189

Maggs11189 New Member

Thanks to everyone who responded! All your answers were alot of help!

12. KatieB

KatieB Approved members

1. How old was your son/daughter when he/she was diagnosed? 13 months

2. Immediately after diagnosis what was your reaction? Relief that he was still alive -- I really thought we might lose him for a while there.

3. When arriving home from the hospital how did you and your child handle the diagnosis? We were definitely on autopilor for the first few weeks. I must have read and re-read everything from the hospital/endocrinologist at least 50 times. Since Richard was so little, he adapted to the shots & tests very well. I had a lot of tears, and my husband had a great deal of anger.

4. As your child grows older what are your primary concerns? First, how diabetes will affect his ability to learn and function in a school environment. Secondly, how he/we will manage his transition to self-care. Third, his long-term health concerns: complications, etc.

5. Who in the family primarly takes care of your childs diabetes when he/she was young? Me. (Mom).

6.How has your own personal life change because of the diagnosis? It put a total stop to my plans to continue my education by getting my doctorate. It's also kept me from going back to work, even part time, as finding adequate childcare has been virtually impossible. My husband and I virtually never go out on dates, and my own personal time has shrunk to nearly nothing.

Thanks in advance!

13. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

You're welcome! Hope this helps!

14. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

I remember clearly thinking that how we (my husband and I) handled this would set the tone for how Emily and our other kids viewed diabetes, viewed Emily, viewed challenges in general. I stayed in the hospital with her and I read/skimmed 3 books on children with diabetes before morning. I felt confident we would all be fine.

We took it in stride. We were grateful that little in our life changed, and that it was relatively easy to keep her healthy (versus decades ago and/or other illnesses we are familiar with.)

Medical issues aside, it is to maintain a healthy sense of respect for her body, and a positive attitude about challenges in life.

I homeschool my kids so I am with them more but my husband and I share equally in her care.

I am more grateful for the innumerable gifts in my life.

Hope that helps.
    Karen

15. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Good luck!

16. Denise

Denise Approved members

not sure what harm can come from answering the questions..:confused:

here goes!

1. How old was your son/daughter when he/she was diagnosed? 8 years and 2 months.

2. Immediately after diagnosis what was your reaction? Devastation. Heart broken for my daughter and what was to come.

3. When arriving home from the hospital how did you and your child handle the diagnosis? Molly has always been a trooper. She cried for 10 mins in the hospital and then from then on she's been a tough cookie. Me? I read all I could and talked to fellow D parents.

4. As your child grows older what are your primary concerns? Her ability to get the instinct I've developed with her care and her health.

5. Who in the family primarly takes care of your childs diabetes when he/she was young? That would be me :cwds:

6.How has your own personal life change because of the diagnosis? We no longer are able to just pick up and leave Molly with whomever we want. We must ensure whomever she stays with understands how to care for her in an emergency. As she gets older, I'm sure this will wane a bit. We definitely appreciate life a lot more now.

17. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

--------------------------------------

18. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Answers above.

19. pam_r

pam_r Approved members

1. How old was your son/daughter when he/she was diagnosed? Just turned 4

2. Immediately after diagnosis what was your reaction? I was an emotional wreck, very sad, lost 5 pounds the first week.

3. When arriving home from the hospital how did you and your child handle the diagnosis? I put on a happy face for him and reacted in a positive way. Almost treating it like no big deal, it is what it is. He has been the same way, very laid back attitude.

4. As your child grows older what are your primary concerns? These days I worry about him having play dates without me. Beyond that I worry about his health when he is middle aged..

5. Who in the family primarly takes care of your childs diabetes when he/she was young? My husband and myself

6.How has your own personal life change because of the diagnosis? I have a lot more to deal with than the average person, more stress... I really really miss the spontaneity we once had.

20. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Good luck on your paper.