- advertisement -

Paranoid mother

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Emily2015, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Emily2015

Emily2015 Approved members

Hello,

My baby was Dx three months ago at the age of 17 mo... Needless to say what kind of experience this has been... You all know that very well...
    My burning question:
    My almost 4 year old DS was feeling under the weather today, he wet his bed the first time in 1.5 years and he was peeing slightly more often than usual...
    So I check his sugar at 1:30 pm after he had his lunch at 11:30 and it 166 I start panicking, he cries, everyone goes crazy. I check it again 30 min Ltee and it is 266... I am about to lose it. I call my Endo who says to watch him for a day. I check again at 3:30 and it is 109... He eats (vegetable soup and some rice with chicken) and I check it 1.5 hour later (at 5:00pm) and it is 139.

I don't think I am capable of any kind of rational thinking at this point... Please parents let me know your thoughts...

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

OK take this info from a mom that does have 2 kiddos with T1D. Oldest Dx at 13 month and second had a VERY early DX at 5 years (a1c 5.7)

I would be concerned, but temper that with " under the weather". being under the weater as you know can mess with BG. I am concerned because none of your kiddos reading are below 100. I would try to gather all my resources togeather to do 1 blood draw, that will test for A1c, glucose, as many auto anti-bodies that are associated with T1D (at least 5). I would time this test to be after a high carb meal that is fast carbs and not high in fat or protein, because this is so much more telling in the early stages than a "fasting" test.

I will tell you our second dx was soo different than the 1st, but I realize we had 8+ years between and you not even a year.

IT COULD JUST BE BEING SICK, even the wetting the bed can be explained with a UTI or the stubbornness of a 4 year old to pee before bed.

BTW, I called our endo from Disneyland because my youngest was vomitting and had high ketones, but low bg. I lied to the answering service and said it was about my oldest, her paient! An ER trip later and I beleive it was the Swine flu when it first started.

3. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I am so sorry. I think I can imagine how scary this must be for you...I had a similar experience with my 5 year old over the summer. I kept tabs on him for a few weeks and I haven't been able to bring myself to test him since then. I remember well that awful feeling of panic and dread, the realization that he might actually have diabetes too. I still get emotiinal now, thinking about how I felt back then. I am so so sorry you are going through this!!! Why you are feeling is completely normal, not overboard at all.

So far, he hasn't developed any other symptoms. I hope for you it was just caused by a sticky finger or illness. I don't think one reading over 200 means he has diabetes, but I do know how hard it is not to worry. As for the other numbers, I have had readings like that from kids who haven't developed diabetes, so try to out those out of your mind for now.

If you want to find out if there's a chance of him getting it, you can have him tested for antibodies through trialNet. It is not immediate; it takes a few months to get results. I don't know if you have heard of trial net before. Do your research and take your time deciding if you want to go forward with it.

If you want to conduct an unscientific experiment, feed him a high carb meal and test him 30 minutes later. Wait until he is feeling better, though. If he is over 200, that is grounds to call your doctor. If he is under 150, I would try and let the worry rest. Another thing you can do is test him first thing in the morning, although it can be normal in a person in the early stages of diabetes development.

Keep us updated! I wish I could just give you a hug and tell you it will be all right.

Good luck! I hope it was just a fluke! But even in the worst case, where he gets diabetes, you will get through it! You are stronger than you know.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  4. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

My prayers and/or well wishes are with you so that you can have the strength to weather this whatever it may be.

5. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I would take your child in for blood work as others have suggested. Good to know definitively. If negative, you get relief from worry. If positive, you've caught it early.

6. andiej

andiej Approved members

Aww it sounds like you are really going through it right now, and so soon after your other little one. I'll be honest the 266 is highly concerning, were fingers completely clean, (we've done that before got a high reading on my Non-D and it turns out just weren't clean fingers) everything I've read says that any random number over 198 is an outright diagnosis in many cases. So do keep a very close eye and it may be worth doing a Ketone Test too. Fingers crossed for you it's just under the weather bloods. Let us know how you go.

7. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Having only one child who was diagnosed with T1D at a much older age, the best I can do is imagine what you must be going through. That being said, if I were in your shoes, I'd take my child to see his doctor ASAP and get antibody testing performed. Like others have said, knowing one way or the other will be a relief. Another consideration is that you don't want to wait for DKA to occur while you are waiting and simply hoping for the best. Having experienced DKA even once at diagnosis can (I wrote "can" not "definitely will") negatively impact your child's chances of developing complications down the road. I'll be honest: anything over 195 would send me to the pediatrician or endocrinologist. Easy for me to say, but if the outcome is not what you'd like, you will rise to the occasion because this is what good parents do, and you certainly sound like a very good mom to me!

8. glko

glko Approved members

Sorry that you are having to stress about this, I don't think there is a parent of a T1 child out there who hasn't freaked out that their nonD child may be showing signs. I agree with others that this is something that I would followup with your care team on, but also try not to panic. My nonD child has had elevated fasting and post meal BGs when sick, but they do return to normal once she is feeling better. My 2 nonD kids are part of TrialNet so they are monitored every 6 months which does give me some peace of mind, and when I do have questions my TrialNet nurse coordinator and endo are super responsive and help us figure out what is going on. Once the dust settles a bit you may consider that for your other children too, but for now I would focus on getting your kiddo healthy and take one day at a time.

9. Emily2015

Emily2015 Approved members

Thank you all for your responses! I am so grateful to be a part of this forum. I literally had no place to turn... And was so relieved to have received so much support from this group. Thank you again.
    So update:
    1. I did a sugar challenge:
    Gave him a banana dipped in honey and checked his sugar 30 min later, it was 118. I checked his sugar the following day and it was always in lower 100 (fasting and not). (One time it was 130 after dinner). Do you think it is safe to assume that he does not have it? I will follow your advise and sign up for TrialNet!!!!

10. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I think it's likely he does not, but urge you to have him tested just to be safe. They can do an A1c and see his average over the last several months. I'm relieved to hear about the good numbers!

11. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

I agree! This seems like something you want to rule out sooner rather than later. TrialNet results for my non-d child have taken as long as 6 weeks for us to receive. Good luck!

12. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

He will have it or wont have it and that is independent of whether you seek a definitive answer or not. The truth will set you free.